Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1

My second attempt at uploading a photo. Comments greatly appreciated. Don't worry about hurting my feelings - I have a thick skin. :shock:

Thanx,

Ron
Now that I see it here, the focus could be a littile sharper.
Camera: Canon Powershot S500
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:22 PM   #2

It didn't work. When you upload your photos to Photobucket, there should be three lines with URL information under each thumbnail. If you click anywhere in the bottom (3rd) address, and then hit ctrl-c you will copy the information to the clipboard that needs to be inserted into your post. Then create the post and at the point where you want the photo to appear, hit ctrl-v at the beginning of a new line. The URL along with the img tags will be pasted in for you. You can preview the post to see if it worked.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:47 PM   #3

calr wrote:
Quote:
It didn't work.
Carl,
It DID work. But I was editing folders and moved the photo to another folder. :?:crazy::whack:
What can I say...

Thanx,

Ron
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:43 PM   #4

Did I do something wrong?
Is the photo totally not comment worthy?
Doesn't anybody have something to say?
Come on people, tell me what you think... please. :-)

Ron
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:17 PM   #5

It's a difficult type of picture to comment on because of its style and subject. It doesn't fall into the traditional cultural boundaries of beautiful. I'm sure that for some it works, and for others it doesn't. I'll start with some technical points.

It would be better if all 3 mushrooms (well, 4 if you include the "baby") were in focus. The close and far ones are not. I don't mind as much about the back one, but I find it a bit distracting in the front one. One thing that effects Depth Of Field is how close you are to the subject. This is one of the reason why Macro photography is so hard. If you are using a point and shoot camera, you life is a bit easier because they generally have a larger DOF than 35-mm or DSLR cameras.

Lighting on these shots is always tricky. To me, it's mostly about the textures of the surfaces and (some times) the subtle differences/changes in colors (in the bark, for example.) So, to me, the reflection of the light source (sun? flash?) on the middle one is distracting. It takes away from the pattern & texture of that mushroom. You can see some of that in the close one too, but the OOF nature of it overrides that. This is where you would really have been better to use some kinda flash with a softbox or a reflector that softened the light. Of course, it's not like you were prepared for this shot so these aren't really realistic expectations. But I thought I'd mention it because you wanted to learn.

I can't decide if I like or dislike the green thing in the background. I'll lean towards distracting, but more because it's right behind the middle mushroom. I think that if the same thing were off to the right it would be less distracting.

To composition. I like the composition. I don't know if it was intentional, but not having them in a direct horizontal line is nice. I wonder what it would look like if you were lower down, a bit closer and a bit to the right (but still looking directly at the center mushroom.) One thing about these situations is to try things. Lots of things. I took about 30 pictures of this frog before I landed on this one. The low angle is more intimate and much more interesting than the standard "looking down on it from above" shots that I started with:
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_pos...reflection.jpg

(humm, looking at this picture now 3 months later, I find that it's a bit lacking in contrast. I might have to try to re-edit that picture some time.)

As for the subject. I hike often and see things like this every now and then. I look at them and think "I like them, they are nice." But I never shoot them. They just don't grab me. So (not surprisingly) it doesn't grab me here. Doesn't make it a bad picture, it just don't work for me. I know many people who look at my bird pictures and just don't get it. You never can tell.

Eric

ps. Nice avatar picture. I just picked up my cat from bording her while on vacation. It's nice to have her back.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:01 AM   #6

eric,
Thanx a bunch for commenting on this photo. This is EXACTLY what I like when I post a photo. I like this photo - doesn't mean it's a great photo, just that I like it.
Next time I'm in this situation, I'll have a better idea what to do.
Incidentally, I went back several hours later to try for a better photo, but the first mushroom had continued to open, and the inside had turned an unattractive gray. The green behind the middle 'room is the base of a daylily and not moveable.
I printed your comments and read them several times while looking at the photo - great comments, but I STILL like the photo.

Ron
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:07 AM   #7

surfnron,
one of the reasons you may not have gotten comments is the title was test, they may have come in, seen the pic and that you got it to work and left before you asked for comments. Now that I type this I see you did ask for comments at the top of your first post, but I still think it was the test title.:-)
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:18 PM   #8

surfnron
Glad to help. Talking about pictures makes one realize what you like and dislike. Studying this picture made me think about how I'd shoot it. I just might try to get it next time I'm hiking. I don't really have the right equipment (I'm a perfectionist, if you haven't guessed) but I should still try.

I fully understand about that daylily. Nothing you can do... except move your feet to change where it is (which might not produce as nice a picture) or not take the picture at all. To me, it's better to take the picture an learn. The day I stop learning I'll not take the picture (and it will be a sad day indeed.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote