Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:24 AM   #1

I took these with the rebel, it was spur of the moment so no tripod. with the 90 to 300 lens.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:41 AM   #2

For hand-held that's not half bad.

You've probably read this thread already, but I thought I'd give you a link anyway. It's got some tips for moonshots.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=moon
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:48 AM   #3

Not bad shots at all, Julie! You did take these pictures of the full moon during the daylight hours, explaining the lightness of the sky around the moon, right? What exposure info could you give us?

Also, you'll get a higher relief image with more crater detail if you take moon pictures during one of its non-full phases. During full moon phase all the features are pretty much flat because of the head on lighting by the sun.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:03 AM   #4

Here's a hand-held shot through a 10" dobsonian. These are especially hard because the moon is moving across the eyepiece very quickly at this magnification and you have to keep manually moving the scope.
This photo gives a good idea of how mangled the surface is.
Sorry about the vignetting. The terminator is running through the craters in the upper left of the photo...

mactek
Attached Images

mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:45 AM   #5

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Not bad shots at all, Julie! You did take these pictures of the full moon during the daylight hours, explaining the lightness of the sky around the moon, right? What exposure info could you give us?

Also, you'll get a higher relief image with more crater detail if you take moon pictures during one of its non-full phases. During full moon phase all the features are pretty much flat because of the head on lighting by the sun.

yes, daylightlight hours on auto and forgot to save the original when I cropped them.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:47 AM   #6

mactek wrote:
Quote:
Here's a hand-held shot through a 10" dobsonian. These are especially hard because the moon is moving across the eyepiece very quickly at this magnification and you have to keep manually moving the scope.
This photo gives a good idea of how mangled the surface is.
Sorry about the vignetting. The terminator is running through the craters in the upper left of the photo...

mactek

thats a great shot, funny how the moon can look so different.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:48 AM   #7

ferny wrote:
Quote:
For hand-held that's not half bad.

You've probably read this thread already, but I thought I'd give you a link anyway. It's got some tips for moonshots.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=moon

thanks ferny, yes I'd read that thread, like i said it was spur of the moment. One of these days i will actually plan to take some shots.