Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1

Here are some macro shots of some miniature red and pink carnations. The blossoms are about one inch in diameter.

I was going for maximum depth of field here. Camera is Nikon D100, Sigma 28-80 zoom lens, 20mm extention tube, Aperture priority, f32, electric cable release. Exposure times were 1/3 to 1/2 second in muted sunlight (partly cloudy).

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:40 AM   #2

Nice pics, Cal!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks, Klaus. Coming from you, that is a great compliment. I frequently find myself taking shortcuts in my photo shooting and it reduces the quality of the pictures. In these shots, I placed the flower planter on a portable workbench in my driveway with the flowers facing the sun. The sun was behind a cloud which made for softer natural lighting. I took my time setting up the camera and tripod the way I wanted it. I double checked all camera settings. On the D100, it is easy to miss some. Actually, I did miss one! The metering was set for spot. I didn't discover that until I was all done.

Bottom line, it took about 20 minutes to set up for this series of shots. I took less than 10 minutes to actually shoot the pictures, and another 20 minutes to take everything down and put it away.

It proved to me, and hopefully to others, if you want good quality shots and you have the time, the time taken to do a proper setup will be well rewarded.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote