Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

A recent colony of fire ants? showed up in my driveway. They are tiny so I shot these with a reverse 50M lense on the cameras Macro setting. I hope they don't get established as they have a nasty sting!
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

Nice picture.I hear they can kill alarge animal in large numbers. I hope you use your drive way alot (road kill) or they get scared out of their new home. Don't they live in warm wet climates?
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:40 PM   #3

Nadia wrote:
Quote:
Nice picture.I hear they can kill alarge animal in large numbers. I hope you use your drive way alot (road kill) or they get scared out of their new home. Don't they live in warm wet climates?
Im near the cost in NC so its pretty wet and warm. I guess they could kill a large animal if they got into a very large number of them. They are tiny but they have a fiece bite. It fells like someone put a hot needle in your skin and it leaves little welts that have a small white head on them. The problem most of the time is when you step on a large group of them and dont realize it until the group starts to bite.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:21 PM   #4

I am near the NC coast as well and I have become accustomed to seeing them every summer. Part of life around here.
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote