Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:57 PM   #1

One of the local dragons guarding his favorite spot.
Attached Images

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:59 PM   #2

wow...you got an AMAZINGly big DOF there!! beeeautiful!!

great shot...really..a great great shot!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:05 PM   #3

Indeed! A very beautiful shot tomsch! You should be proud of this one...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:53 AM   #4

This guy was a bonus!, I went to a local pond as I knew a Water Lily was due to bloom. I was intent on setting up my tripod and noticed this Dragon flitting about. When in breeding mode, these males are very persistent. Once they stake out an area as their own ,they will guard it and await females. This fellow kept returning to a spot that sometimes was inside my closest focus range. I was torn between shooting the lily and keeping an eye peeled for the Dragon should he alite on his choosen perch. The lily was in shadow and the Dragon was in full sun, WOW I must have changed camera settings a thousand times. When I got home and looked I have lily shots with dragon fly settings and dragons with lily settings. I have a hundred and fifty shots, some of which are quite humorous. I really need to go back there and shoot one or the other and try to do justice to one subject at a time!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:15 AM   #5

Tomsch... maybe two cameras would solve your simultaneous, dual subject problem?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6

I would desperately like to order an EOS 20D but I can't figure out how to pay for it! Ah but wait...then I would have two cameras competing for lenses! Man...I'd never get anything done.

Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:31 AM   #7

That second shot is a beauty also, tomsch. What camera and lens and settings are you using, because that DOF is pretty unbelievable...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:46 AM   #8

Geoff, the Camera is a Canon EOS 10D, Lens is a Sigma 180macro. This was shot at f16 @1/45th. Most of the time you could not shoot that slow but this pond is protected by a wall on one side and there is no effect from the breezes. Normally I would shoot at f8 and set the ISO at what ever would keep my shutter above 250 to freeze action. Once you find a Dragon that goes to perch like this you got it made. No one holds as still as these guys. That is providing the wind or water doesn't move them.

Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:54 AM   #9

All that I could say, tomsch, is that you really have the technicals down to a science! That Sigma lens seems to do a great job - what distance does it allow you to shoot these scenes from?

BTW, I'm supposed to have a 20D by the end of September if the local store I ordered at gets them in on time...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:27 PM   #10

I did see that you had ordered a 20D, I envy you more than you know. I would really like to try one to see the improvement in AF.

The Sigma 180mm will close focus to 18.1".I have a 50mm also but I wanted the 180 so I could distance myself from insect life to increase working distance.As an added feature I get to stand up to shoot alot of my florals. When shooting roses or large blooms like Dahlias or Hybrid Lilies I find that five to six feet gives me almost full frame images. Without all the stooping and bending I can work faster and not get tired as fast. The lensis a little large for free hand but I've done it to keep up with butterflies and bees whose pace precludes the use of a tripod. A year ago I shot alot freehand but I now see the increase of keepers and just better shots by using the tripod. This will sound alittle silly but I find by using the tripod I see a lot better. when I carried the camera freehand I was always pointing at something and focusing almost constantly. Now I set the camera down and look around. Compose the shot I want in my mind and then look thru the camera to see if I can get what I want. AS a result my shots are better quality and better composed. You'ld be much surprised how little you need to crop if you look before you shoot! Sorry I'm rambling and babbling again.