Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:59 AM   #1

Hi, I'm entering a digital photo competition in our local village the subject is flowers they say it doesn't matter what is in the photo as long as it includes flowers somehow. Anyway here are the two I'm thinking of entering, any advice or comments welcome. Thanks... They were taken with a Nikon 8700
Attached Images

uksweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:01 AM   #2

Second pic

Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:06 AM   #3

hello i like them! i like best the second one beacuse it has the fly that gives more interest to it.
Iacopo
iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:11 AM   #4

iacopo wrote:
Quote:
hello i like them! i like best the second one beacuse it has the fly that gives more interest to it.
Iacopo
Thanks Iacopo, what was bothing me was the blurriness around the edges, my daughter says when you take a photo ofsomething as close as that you can't get the whole shot clear and sharp I think I was expecting miracles. :sad:
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:17 AM   #5

I am not an expert but I think that in this case the fact that the border of the flower is blurred (expecially behind the insect) adds more depth to it, so that the center of it and the fly result more enhanced.
Iacopo
iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:20 AM   #6

iacopo wrote:
Quote:
I am not an expert but I think that in this case the fact that the border of the flower is blurred (expecially behind the insect) adds more depth to it, so that the center of it and the fly result more enhanced.
Iacopo
Sorry Iacopo I didn't explain myself properly,I didn't mean the depth of field, I'm quite happy with thatI meant the blurry edges of the subject as in the flower petals
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:05 AM   #7

And yet again I get to be different. I think number one is better by far. The flower in number 2 is kind of icky. Now I realize ick is reality but the spots of fly poop and stuff detracts from the whole. I might crop number one a little off the bottom but definately off center is best. It's just a lovely photo.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:10 AM   #8

i agree with suzan....well....about the first being the best

i really like the flower....very cool looking, and you captured it very well!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:09 AM   #9

ImKayd1 wrote:
Quote:
And yet again I get to be different. I think number one is better by far. The flower in number 2 is kind of icky. Now I realize ick is reality but the spots of fly poop and stuff detracts from the whole. I might crop number one a little off the bottom but definately off center is best. It's just a lovely photo.

Suzan
Thanks for your comments Suzan, to be honest I hadn't noticed the fly poop ... but looking at it again Iguess I have to agree. I ended up entering them both the judging was yesterday and I wasn't able to make it but when I got home there was a message on my phone saying I had won second prize :-)there's just one thing they didn't say whichof the twohad come second..lol.. so that will be something to look forward to when I go pick up my prize on Wednesday. If the judges looked at it with the perspective that you did I have a feeling it will be number one..:-).. By the way the prize for second placeis £50 which isn't too bad, considering there was no entrance fee.. thanks to everyone who commented.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:12 AM   #10

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
i agree with suzan....well....about the first being the best

i really like the flower....very cool looking, and you captured it very well!

Vito
Thanks Vito, I don't know if you'll read my reply to Suzan but I came second with one of them..just don't know which one yet...lol.. I have a feeling it will be the first one.. thanks again.