Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:52 PM   #1

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:56 PM   #2

the composition is good, and the background is nicely out of focus, but, the lighting (yea the part you can't control ) is too strong...it looks like the sun was high in the sky, but being chopped up by trees, creating shadows, so you have the really bright spot on the leaf...

the best thing you could do for this shot, is go back (if you can) more towards sunrise/sunset, and take it with a softer light, or even at night, set up a tripod, and use a flashlight...

then you could control where the light comes from and simplify the background by making it black...

well...i hope this helps

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:53 PM   #3

The shot looks good as far as composition and DOF, but as vito said, the lighting is a bit harsh. I suggest using a fold up diffuser... or if you dont want to buy something, try getting a white sheet and streching it out over the flower (but not too close) it will diffuse the light nicely, and hopefully you wont have that harsh light effect.

I have tons and tons of pictures where I really like the shot, but the light is horrible. All part of the learning process.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:12 AM   #4

I don't know. I think the lighting is fine. I'm looking at the flower and nothing else. If we're going to critique it though, and I don't know if host wants us to or not so I hope he's not offended, is that the flower would look much better towards the left of the photo, so there is more space on the right. The colours look a little washed out to. It looks like it was cropped so maybe that can be fixed in Photoshop. The colours can at least.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the great tips. I hadn't really noticed the lighting issue but now that it been mentioned I see exactly what your talking about. It was at about noon so the sun was the problem. I'll have to get out on an overcast day or when the sun is down a bit to the same place and see if that improves the lighting.

I did crop it a little and compressed so I didn't take too much of Steves bandwidth. It origionally is about a 4 MB file. It was off center a bit in the origional.

I appreciate the help!
host is offline   Reply With Quote