Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:44 PM   #1

This was taken with my "new" close-up lens & FZ-20.

The 2 front lenses from my 10 x 50 binoculars.

The white petals are ~8mm across. I can get the 8mm to fill the full frame

but the depth of field is very very small and I could'nt get a reasonable shot.

This isn't supposed to be a good photographic example, I'm just showing

how cheap I can be.

Mark
Attached Images

OzMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:29 AM   #2

Hey Oz, nice work and good use of gear. Nice details and the red of the strawberry makes the flower stand out well. A good friend of mine, Mike Ash used to shoot with magnifying glasses in front of the lens and often two of them stacked. it does work for sure.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3

OzMark wrote:
Quote:
I can get the 8mm to fill the full frame

but the depth of field is very very small and I could'nt get a reasonable shot.

This isn't supposed to be a good photographic example, I'm just showing

how cheap I can be.
Don't sell yourself short. The shallow DOF is pretty much the nature of the beast with close-up lenses. One thing you can do to maximize your DOF is to use the smallest aperture possible for the shot. (highest f-stop). Also, as with stacking macro lenses, there is a tendency towards a sharp center and soft edges - pretty much what you have here. I'd say, in your case, that "cheap" is definitely going to work for you.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:12 AM   #4

Tom

thanks. I thought the sharp centre and soft edges werecaused bymy cheap binocular lenses. I tried a flat steel rule (to show the scale) and the edges are pretty soft. These lenses are only 50mm diameter, would it help to use bigger diameter ones? Not that I have any.

Mark

Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:23 AM   #5

Danny

I also tried the lens from a slide projector. It worked on a camera I borrowed (which had a small diameterlens) but the FZ-20 lens was a bit big (or the projector lens was a bit small). I've got some slides I want to copy so I was fiddling around with an old 1.3M pixel Olympus and the projector lens was the first thing I thought of, after the crappy magnifying glass I have.

Mark

Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:13 AM   #6

OzMark wrote:
Quote:
I thought the sharp centre and soft edges werecaused bymy cheap binocular lenses. I tried a flat steel rule (to show the scale) and the edges are pretty soft.
Quote:
These lenses are only 50mm diameter, would it help to use bigger diameter ones? Not that I have any.

Well, technically you are correct. Your cheap lenses are causing the soft edges, but even "good" macro sets will do the same. I have a set of Hoya close-up filters (they're called filters, though they are technically lenses) They are fairly inexpensive, but Hoya is a very respected name. I get pretty much the same effect with them.

As regards the diameter of the lenses, I don't think you have a problem, as the main concern would be vignetting, which I don't see in your shot. Larger lenses may have a larger "sweet spot" in the center of the shot. For what it's worth, there is a company making a lens called The Lensbaby which is designed to exaggerate this effect.

The other concern is that the point of focus created by your lens needs tobe prettymuch precisely aligned with your CCD. Again,it appears as though you have this working out fairly well.If you can experiment withyour focal length a little, you may find a balance that will allow you to maximize your overall sharpness.

Considering this setup cost you little more than the time it took you to experiment, I think it was well worth your while.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote