Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:18 PM   #11

Tofu???
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:54 PM   #12

lol! i thought tofu was white?

lol

nice guess majestic, but that's not it...

thanks for looking

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:46 PM   #13

Vito-- I'm amazed. Can you give us the EXIF data and tell me more about the lighting conditions. I simply can't get images that sharp and brilliant from my Dig Reb w/ 18-55. It takes TONS of photoshopping for me to get there. And the last to pics appear to be in low light without a flash-- were you using a tripod?

I agree with your assessment of the bull's-eye composition with the cat. Perhaps if DOF had been a little bit deeper, it would have been purr-fect (because all the focus would not have been on the eye, but also on the bridge of the cat's nose)?? But everything else more than makes up for it.

Still in awe of the masters who frequent the forums.

~kjk

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:48 PM   #14

Oh, and by the way, I'm guessing that the first pic is a curb or cornerstone or something... because you said that the third pic was not really related (meaning the first two were) and the first could be consistent with wet concrete, which is shown in the second pic...

just my crazy logic,

~kjk

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:31 PM   #15

Ok Vito,
I'll play. I think the first one is of a sponge or scouring pad, with the color desaturated. Even close?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:02 AM   #16

hey perdendosi! thanks for the compliments

ok...the lighting....lol, to tell you the lighting...it will give you a hint towards wat this is (a small hint...lol)...

the lighting was sun (in all three believe it or not), low lying sun though...the top two were probably around 12 o'clock and, being near winter (shot in PA also) now, the sun was pretty low for dead noon...lol...

lol, it doesn't change a whole lot but i was a story up in my friends house in the midst of being built (theres a decent hint)....so the light was at a pretty shallow angle...

ah, right EXIF here

the first shot (lol, the one that will throw EVERYTHING off unless you know exactly wat it is )

Shooting Date/Time
11/30/2004 12:00:13 AM
Shooting Mode
Manual
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/200
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Center-weighted averaging
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
38.0 mm

Second shot....

Shooting Date/Time
11/30/2004 12:08:53 AM
Shooting Mode
Manual
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/100
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
55.0 mm

annnd..then the cat shot...which was different lighting than the first two...

was taken inside, with the afternoon sun coming through the window shining right on her (indoor sunspots are magic for pet photos remember that )

Shooting Date/Time
11/29/2004 3:11:01 AM
Shooting Mode
Manual
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/80
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
55.0 mm

oh yeah...white balance was cloudy for all the shots (that's why the cat one is so orangy...), the first shot was desaturated though. also, no flash in any of the shots

ok...i believe i've tortured you enough...and possibly turned you away from this thread forever...but, if you're still here and interested, i shall share wat the first two shots are of (well, the black stuff i mean...lol, the second shot's subject is a seed thingy)

it is........

Tar Paper....

lol...exciting right?

the light, coming from behind in the first shot, caused alot of highlights (making those awesome OOF circles)
and the second one the light was coming more from the side (took a couple steps to the right...and faced left more...)
and the last one was inside my house...the low light appearance is because the cat was in the sun, but the background wasn't (it's a pretty neat trick )

the tar paper is on my friend's balcony...keeping the rain off the wood below...it went over the edge, making the right angle shown in the first photo

well, thanks for looking

also, perdendosi...that shot you posted, i like it very moody good composition

and again, thanks for the wonderful comments, you made my day! (er...night...very early morning? lol)

thanks!

Vito

EDIT...record long post btw...no tripod...i was stupid and forgot to bring it with me....but, it wouldn'thave worked for the first one...my lens was nearly touching the near surface to get it that OOF...and, the cat wouldn't stay still long enough for tripod use

Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:52 PM   #17

i could have sworn it was a turttle.....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:24 PM   #18

The cats eye might be in the center but the focus field is a diagonal off center. The shot works nicely. Love the seed pod. Wow that's a framer and keeper. And I simply refuse to believe that's tar paper. The camera might be very cool but I happen to think it's the person using the camera that gets the kudos here.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:48 PM   #19

I have a lot of trouble with crisp images with my D=Rebel, too. I guess Vito shows what can be done when one knows how to use it. I sure haven't figured it out, but I appreciate seeing that the potential is there!!!!! Love those shots!!!!!!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:06 AM   #20

aww thanks guys

lol, this thread has made my day over and over again

thanks for the encouragement and thanks for looking!

Vito