Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:49 PM   #11

That is a SUPER shot! I'm very impressed, Steve. The colours are great and the DOF is spot-on.

Great work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:49 PM   #12

Great shot Steve,well worth all the shots to get to this one.
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:10 AM   #13

Thanks for the kind words everyone. One thing Ive learnt using the digital camera is to persevere and you shall be rewarded.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:40 PM   #14

MVASteve wrote:
Quote:
These guys are always on the move.. I wont tell you how many shots it took to get this one. The flower is a grevillia and native to Australia.

Hey Steve. How do you set up for this? Quaff a couple of cool ones on the patio-set the tripod, prefocus or auto focus, use a shutter release cable, and wait for the bugger to fly over? The reason I asked, is because I thought this might be a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon on the patio- when summer rolls around-providing I can keep enough of the amber nectar on hand. Oh-most importantly- I almost forgot to say this is a great shot. Kudos!! Cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:10 AM   #15

Hi thekman620, well firstly the bush/shrub(in front yard) where I took the photo was full of the buzzing critters. I set the camera (olympus c8080) to its macro setting and went beserk taking as many photos as i could and getting as close as i could to the bees. I had tried this a few times before and had no luck in getting any decent shots. I just persevered and I was very lucky to score the one your viewing. I cant remember who, but someone in the forum said that holding your breath helps steadying your shot and it did. My arms were aching at the end of the session. Also light, always is a major factor in action shots. I think like your method better sitting on a patio with a few ambers waiting for the great shot! Hope this helps and good luck.
mvasteve
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote