Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1

Shot this tonight. Have to do somthing during the cold winter so why not something for heat. Used one of my light stands to hold the match. Then with Canon 1DMK2 and Sigma 105EX macro lens at F22. Lit the match with a lighter and used a long exposure (4sec) but i did that so i could use rear curtain sink on my flash unit so i could first get the shot with the fire and then just a second before the flash went off i blew the match out so created more smoke. Took me two days to figure this out for what i thought was best effect.

dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:06 AM   #2

dc9mm wrote:
Quote:
Used one of my light stands to hold the match. Then with Canon 1DMK2 and Sigma 105EX macro lens at F22. Lit the match with a lighter and used a long exposure (4sec) but i did that so i could use rear curtain sink on my flash unit so i could first get the shot with the fire and then just a second before the flash went off i blew the match out so created more smoke. Took me two days to figure this out for what i thought was best effect.
Very well thought out technique... and very effective, as well. I'm a little confused by "use rear curtain sink on my flash unit". I'm hoping you mean "sync" but even that is a little mysterious to me.

Excellent work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

Yes I meant rear curtain sync. I did this so when the shutter first opened it captures the flaming match I just lit. Then after 3 seconds I blow the match out. I do this for the reason more smoke was made by the match about a half-second after blowing the match out. If I didn't do this there wasn't much smoke produced by the burning match. The reason for rear curtain sync was to light up the smoke so the sensor could see it. Remember I used F22 in total darkness. Without the flash you wouldn't be able to see the smoke, the flash was at full power bounced off a white card. I needed the flash to go off after I blew the match out so I needed the flash to go off at the end of the 4 second exposure, hence rear curtain sync. I hope that explains it better.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:23 AM   #4

This is great capture ;D well done!
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote