Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:07 PM   #1

For this shot of one of our back yard clematis I used the 350d/rebelXT + Sigma 70-300 APO macro II and a Sigma achromatic close up lens. Handheld. Only cropped, not even USM. It hardly looks like a clematis anymore. More like some underwater plant from the tropics. Any tips for improvement?

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:44 PM   #2
djb

Well, for starters, you might want to use a tripod. Flowers don't move much (except in a breeze) so a tripod would be very beneficial in this case. the picture does need a bitof post processing but it won't make it perfect. probably not good but better than it is. i don't know anything about the sigma achromatic lense but, if it is the $23 closeup lense, i would say get rid of it and get a canon 500D or a nikon T6 (?). fast shutter speeds help for motion and small lense openings (large numbers) help for depth of field. but, mainly for non-moving objects, a tripod is the way to go.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

djb wrote:
Quote:
Well, for starters, you might want to use a tripod. Flowers don't move much (except in a breeze) so a tripod would be very beneficial in this case.
Most of the time I do use a tripod, but because this flower was more than 2 metres / 7 feet off the ground my tripod gave up. I was pleasantly surprised how sharp it turned out hand held after all.

Quote:
the picture does need a bit of post processing but it won't make it perfect. probably not good but better than it is. i don't know anything about the sigma achromatic lense but, if it is the $23 closeup lense, i would say get rid of it and get a canon 500D or a nikon T6 (?).
The Sigma was second hand a bit more pricey than the 23$ you quote. It's achromatic so in that sense a lot better than the Tiffen-like diopter sets that go around as well. Trust me I have (used) them.... Still, 500D or T6 could perhaps be better but not at >110 euros / > 135$ compared to the Sigma. See new sample of tripod and same setup.

Quote:
fast shutter speeds help for motion and small lense openings (large numbers) help for depth of field. but, mainly for non-moving objects, a tripod is the way to go.
shutter was 1/200 at 300 mm. You're right: pushing my luck for motion blur and withe the setup chosen: too little DOF/risk of wrong spot in focus.
Quote:
dennis
Thnx for your remarks. I'll stick to tripod and ban breezes.

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote