Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 19, 2005, 2:44 AM   #1

I shot this photo at the side of a small lake in central Romania (near where I live). Please give me any thoughts / advice / critiques too, but also be happy to just enjoy and let me know! :idea:

Camera: Fuji F601, which I've had for nearly 3 years now. Great camera (especially when I bought it, now quite a few models supercede it) - but I'm still very glad with it.

I made about half a dozen photos, but only 2 were well in focus coz the Fuji F601 isn't always the best at macro focus (plus I knew it might not pick up on the subject being thethin reed leaf the dragon flies were on, but try to focus the background). But maybe the bright colour of the dragonfly (the male?) helped in the end to get it to focus how I wanted it!

I also tried to use manual focus in the end but the Fuji F601's manual focus isn't always so easy or helpful in bright sunlight, especially not for macro / insect stuff! So this photo was the best, from autofocus, macromode.

I had to get quite close in order to have a clear view coz they were amongst the reeds, and I was afraid they'd fly off, but they kept on "doing their thing" long enough for me to be satisfied with this photo. I was amazed at how the "grey" (female?) one bends it's body all the way around and under. :!:

Maybe I'm wrong with the coloured male / less colourful female thing, I'm not a zoologist, but I think the more colourful of the pairs of birds are the males, and I dunno if this also applies to insects also.

Anyway, please let me know what you think of the photo....? Critiques welcome!!
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2

These are quite tricky to get right: they're really small so you've done a good job, but:

It would make easier viewing if you downsampled the image slightly for the web.

It's not a dragonfly it's a damselfy - don't worry it's a very common mistake - you can easily tell them apart because dragonfly wings don't fold flat against the body of the insect, where as damselfy wings do.

If this was the UK, I would suggest that this is a "common blue damselfy", see http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frame...pecies&coe for example. I've no idea what these are called in Romanian :G, sorry! For comparison I've attached my own photo of one of these, taken a couple of weeks ago.

Hope this helps,

John.
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3

Hi John!

Thanks for the constructive advice and information! Appreciate your reply, as it's teh first one I've received, coz that photo was my first upload!

Yes, I only realised after I uploaded it to the web it would (of course) be viewed at 100%, so next time I'll make them more viewable!

I appreciate your insights into the animal kingdom, and I'm glad you could tell me it is a damselfy ... I've checked out the British Dragonfly Society link you gave me, thanks! (do they have societies and websites for EVERYTHING?!)

Your photo was appreciated, they look similar (I mean the 2 damselfies) - as well as the one on that link you gave me, very bright (almost flourescent!) blue - and at least I was right they are the male ones!

Interesting how they mate though, I've never seen anything like it!

Best wishes to you!

Paul

Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:42 AM   #4

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
(do they have societies and websites for EVERYTHING?!)

Your photo was appreciated, they look similar (I mean the 2 damselfies) - as well as the one on that link you gave me, very bright (almost flourescent!) blue - and at least I was right they are the male ones!
Yes, I think there is a web site for almost everything :idea:

In fact there's even a suggestion that the name "dragonfly" is Romanian in orgin (see http://www.dragonflies.org/faq.htm#faq1), so you never know there's probably a Romanian society for these things as well somewhere!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:23 AM   #5

John,

Wow, interesting website.

And even a Romanian connection with the name... however I doubt there is a society here for that, in my experience people don't seem so concerned with nature details here as in various other places where I've lived (e.g. Australia, UK, Netherlands, etc).

But it is a good website, helpful info - and now I know really what a damselfly is and a dragonfly!

Best wishes

Paul