Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:04 AM   #1

Hi everybody!

I've been following the forum for a while and see great shots here.

I want to go more into macro photography.

I need your help about one point. Sometimes i see some setups with a body + lens and a reversed lens. Can anybody explain what is gained by the reversed lens?
(for example: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7)

I know the question may seem stupid for some of you advanced guys, so i am sorry for that.

I have a Canon EOS3000N film slr, 28-80 canon and 70-300 canon lenses. What can i get from these lenses by setting them up one reversed?

Thank you very much for your inputs!

tanaltan
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:10 AM   #2

some wide angle lenses can be used as a macro when reversed
TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:42 AM   #3

It allows you to get really close to the subject for more magnification. For example on the shot below, a millimeter or more closer and it would have touched the glass on the lens. Downsides are your depth of field is very very shallow and more light is required. A tripod and release are a must unless you want to sort through tons of misses to find one hit. I'm using a 35-70mm tamron as the reversed lens.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:02 PM   #4

Simple explanation is that since lens is designed to focus a large image onto small area such as film or sensor, by reversing it, it focuses small image onto larger area (front of camera lens). Camera then takes picture of this.

Using a 50mm prime lens from my film camera in reverse configuration coupled to Dimage 7hi, I get things like the following. Image is 100% crop of full size pic. Marks are 1mm.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:39 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the information!

So, how can i attach my lense reversed to body? I tried by holding it with hand but it is not very usable. Are there units that work for doing this?

Both of my lenses do not have an aperture ring and the aperture isset electronically through the body. How can i set the aperture when reversed the lens?

(please warn me if i am writing to the wrong forum. because everybody looks like only sharing pics.)
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:33 AM   #6

The lenses are normally coupled with an adapter ring, sometimes called a macro coupler. These are available in various sizes to step up or down if lenses have different thread sizes. B&H Photo has quite a large selection.

The reversed lens is almost always used at fully open setting, and the aperture is set by lens attached to camera. I think most lenses are normally wide open, so this shouldn't be a problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote