Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:55 AM   #11

Autofocus? Why not? It's much faster (for me) than finding the right zoom/distance combo. I just set the zoom I want than get close enough to the subject and push button halfway, and when it's focused I take picture. Autofocus takes only some 1-2 seconds, and I don't think that I could find focus manually in the same amount of time. And I have problems when in manual focus whith DOF, because usually I get focused on that part which I don't want to be sharp. Spot autofocus helps me in these situations extremely well. And I have no problems if my macro subject flys away, because there's tons of insects around me. :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:55 AM   #12

Sorry, Double post...
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:58 AM   #13

Hi CerambyX,
sometimes I need the same focus in different pictures (as in this test..). I will stay with my fixed focus.
But here is an addition to the subject. The "adv. plumber edition" is adjustable now to get hold of my nikkor 50mm f/1,7 in retro position - I never found an adapter for this tool! A gap can be closed by doublesided velcro tape. A dream came true, I saw some pictures of a mosquito eye with such retro equipment! Next thing to be modified is the ground plate.
As you see the MBS-10 90mm with 2*extender is much better concerning sharpness to the edges and vignetting. Don´t look at the colours, underexposed shots with the mbs-10 are better!
sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:05 AM   #14

What is that 2* extender that you are using? Is it one of those which are used for SLR/DSLR cameras or something different?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #15

It is the original 2* extender of the mbs-10, still sold in germany for 45Eur as you can see here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Vorsatzlinse-Obje...QQcmdZViewItem
It seems to be a single lens, but I am not quite sure - focus 70mm-, I will try to replace it by an achromat ;-)
You can see it in the photo of the "plumber edition V2.0" - LoveLife may take a look from now on. The camera is on separated plate, because the thread of the FZ5 is not centered. The additional lens can easily be adjusted in its height. There are "plumber" adapters of all sizes available. After fixing the lens, the camera is switched on and pushed into a tight position! To the left is a "knuffi" slave flash.
And finally I have got my own eye of a (dead and dirty) mosquito!
sven

Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:29 AM   #16

After all this technical stuff I need a recreation.
So here is a closeup of a "flutterby" enjoying the evening sun: Polyommatus icarus .

Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:58 AM   #17

Testing the limits: Max. field of the mbs-10 using Panasonic FZ5
The mbs-10 lens covers the range from the big butterfly to the ant class, there is little correctable distortion on lower magnifications. The sharpness covers the whole range. The only problem is it´s weight. This combination will stay stationary for me and I admire CerambyX for carrying it around.
11d 9,5cm mbs-10 90mm zoom 3*
11d 4,5cm mbs-10 90mm retro zoom 2,4*
30d the other limit: 4 lenses combined :-) digital zoom
...but this is not the end, you can get closer with different lenses
the right side shows the surface containing the liquid crystals.....