Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:34 PM   #1

I saw this Cranefly last week on the side of a building. I've seen them as large as an inch but this one seemed to be at least 3 inches long. Taken with a Powershot A70.

Attached Images

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:25 PM   #2

That crane fly does not surprise me. Take a look at this crane fly nymph:
Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

That's a fantastic photo. I really like it and would like to see some more. Thanks for posting it.

... Tom ...
dWayIseeIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:35 PM   #4

That is a female cranefly. Great shot. And, here's another female cranefly.

Great shot by the way.

Steve

Attached Images

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

Nice shot Linebacker. How can you tell it's a female?

... Tom ...
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:51 AM   #6

Real easy. If you take a look at the rear end of the crane fly, you'll notice that it looks like a rather sharp stinger or something, well, in fact that's her reproductive organ. It's called an Ovipositor. That's what she lays her eggs with.

Hope that helped.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Linebacker, I really appreciate it.

I've always been an outdoorsman and a lover of nature and as a young man some 25 to 30 years ago I became interested in insects and through reading about them I found out how truly amazing they really are.

I was thrilled about their abilities and about the macro photo's of them that were illustrated in many of the books. Since I also had an interest in photography (just had a cheap kodak at the time) I went out and bought a 35mm Minolta SLR camera and some accessory lenses.

My goal was to learn how to take good wildlife and outdoor photographs ... insect macro's in particular. Anyway, I was young, married, and stupid, and I ended up losing my camera after a short period of time.

My abilities were improving and I was just beginning to get some half way decent insect close-ups when I lost the camera.

Had a family to provide for and my interest in photography was sort of put on hold for the next25 years. I'm now back at it again with a Kodak DX7590 and I'm having the time of my life and I'm getting what I consider to be some good photos and macros. It's a real pleasure to wake up each morning and wonder what kind of photographs the day will bring.

Can't hardly go a day without grabbing that camera to photograph something. I've also began to read and study about wildlife and insects again and I feel like I'm traveling a road that I should have found again years ago. Sort of like finding an old friend again.

Anyway ... it's great and I hope the rest of you folks are having as much fun and enjoyment as I am.

... Tom ...