Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:42 AM   #11

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
doublechin wrote:
Quote:
..Yes, you are right. I was very much inspired by Tchuanye work. Didn't really understand the use and importance of bounce flash untill I saw his wonderful shots. He is my role model to follow.

These shots are taken with Tamron 90mm Macro lens that gives you 1:1 life size with my DSLR Minolta 5D. Pretty amazing lens.
Did you ever meet tchuanye?

I solved my bouncing problems some time ago. My son helps me- searching objects, he is closer to the target! - and holding slave flashes.

Your sensor is bigger than ours now, does the aperture compensate this effect? Which aperture do you use? The Tamron is an amazing lens, this could be my next lens fora nikon dslr (around 2007).

I am looking forward to new shots from your side!

Sven

this is my latest work:

http://sgsg.zoto.com/galleries/gamber/

Wow interesting shots. Very abstract. Are those bug still alive or am Ilooking at some special effects?

No I have not met Tchuanye yet.

Not sure about bigger Sensor will compensate better but I will always shot minimum F8 to get reasonable DOF. I did notice the closer I get the DOF will get more shallow.
doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:34 AM   #12

doublechin wrote:
Quote:
Wow interesting shots. Very abstract. Are those bug still alive or am Ilooking at some special effects?

Not sure about bigger Sensor will compensate better but I will always shot minimum F8 to get reasonable DOF. I did notice the closer I get the DOF will get more shallow.
#1 the secret is covered in the link: g=gallery amber=40 million years old!

#2 shallow DOF, I have started to shoot slices of the objects (they don't move), the pictures can be combined with heliconFocus or other tools.

Here is an example of 4*25 slices =4*pano technique and 25*focus:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:15 AM   #13

Hi doublechin! Sven directed me to this page, and glad I took a look! Very nice pics you got here!

#6 (crab spider) is the best of the lot! And #1 would have been excellent if the eyes of the spider were infocus.

I think you have a great set of equipment in your hands. The Tamron 90mm macro have very good reviews and + the AS of the 5D, it is a great combination!

Just for sharing:
Try to get the eyes sharp as possible...it makes or breaks a photo. for #1, the focus is on the stigma of the flower. One way to get both sharp is the keep the camera sensor plane parallel to both the eye and the stigma...than both may appear sharp.

Also, as yours is the DSLR, you can afford to use a higher DOF than F8. F16 is a good start...but really depends on the ambient lighting condition.....too small an apeture, the BG will become dark...so have to play around with the apeture and decide what you want to achieve.
rgds

CY
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:21 AM   #14

Hi, Tchuanye & Sven (for bringing you here),

Thanks for the valuable advised. You are right about #1.

I willdefinitely try your suggestion especially the aperture of f16. I kind of wonder myself why I did not try that for some of the shots.It is quite challenging in Manual focusing but rewarding. Once you get nearer, most part of the subject will get OOF.

Happy holiday and Merry christmas. 8)

Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:03 PM   #15

The shots are great but more so the information.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:14 PM   #16

Excellent macros,I like all of them
Joe Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:10 PM   #17

I feel creepy when I see insects. It's the most disgusting beautiful pictures I've ever seen. What can I say? :lol: Oh Yeah, what a nice set of lenses 'they' carry!
Nikon8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:14 AM   #18

Thanks Joe and Nikon8800.

I know what you mean Nikon8800. It gives me the creeps too sometimes when I see them up close. My wife have refused to speak to me after I keep showing her this picture.

This was taken with Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II. Too bad his feetis OOF.

Attached Images