Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:55 AM   #1

I need a book about insects for identifying insects in our garden. I having fun photographing strange insects in our garden but can not identify them.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:45 PM   #2

Youmight find Borror and White's Field Guide to Insects helpful.

It's a handy size, relatively inexpensive, and shows all the families of insects in North America.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...e&n=283155

There may be some families of insectsin Thailand that don't exist here; certainly there will be genera and species there, that are not found here. Nevertheless, you will findthis bookmost useful for classification.

You might want to check with a local university with a department of entomology. There may be a guide specifically for Southeast Asia. It would be better, if you could find a local guidebook.

Often, entomologists will also have large collections of insects which they are usually pleased to show off to interested amateurs, or they have some guides they provide to students for labs and field work.

I have only a few courses in entomology to my credit, but I'd be pleased to identify those I know for you. The insect in your picture is known in the United States as a "cranefly." They are related to flies and mosquitos, having only two wings, and a vestigial pair of "halteres" which are the remains of the second pair of wings. They are of the order Diptera, family Tilupidae. They are also harmless to humans.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:05 AM   #3

Thanks, I had ordered Encyclopedia of Insects[Hardcover]
By: Vincent H. Resh, Ring T. Cardé from amazon.com. It supposes to have more datas for world insects.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:05 PM   #4

Just my .02:

Sometimes, less is more. I haven't looked for insect guides, but for birds I've found that a good regional field guide is best because it doesn't confuse you with pictures of very similar looking species that aren't native to your area. Obviously, you can look further and weed out ones that aren't found in your area, but it saves time if the guide weeds them out for you.

Not saying a big, hard-cover book of "world" insects isn't a nice reference to have. Just maybe that a smaller, area-specific field guide might make identification a little easier, and certainly would be easier to carry around with you when your "out in the field".
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:13 PM   #5

Wannabe wrote:
Quote:
Just my .02:

Sometimes, less is more. I haven't looked for insect guides, but for birds I've found that a good regional field guide is best because it doesn't confuse you with pictures of very similar looking species that aren't native to your area. Obviously, you can look further and weed out ones that aren't found in your area, but it saves time if the guide weeds them out for you.

Not saying a big, hard-cover book of "world" insects isn't a nice reference to have. Just maybe that a smaller, area-specific field guide might make identification a little easier, and certainly would be easier to carry around with you when your "out in the field".
Thanks for your suggestion but where can I find a book about insects of South East Asia? Most books about insects available at www.amzon.com are about insects ofNorth America. I do not think you can compare books about insects with books about birds.

Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion but where can I find a book about insects of South East Asia? Most books about insects available at http://www.amzon.com are about insects ofNorth America. I do not think you can compare books about insects with books about birds.
You may have a problem there. I was just trying to point out exactly what I did...that sometimes less is more. The theory holds true for insects, like birds. Maybe the reality doesn't. That's why I disclosed the fact that my experience was with birds.

I did a quick search using google and came up with this link. I have no idea about this company or this book, but take it for what it's worth.

http://www.naturesniche.com/en/natur...095981204471X/

Hope I didn't waste much of your time, and I do wish you luck.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:36 AM   #7

Wannabe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion but where can I find a book about insects of South East Asia? Most books about insects available at http://www.amzon.com are about insects ofNorth America. I do not think you can compare books about insects with books about birds.
You may have a problem there. I was just trying to point out exactly what I did...that sometimes less is more. The theory holds true for insects, like birds. Maybe the reality doesn't. That's why I disclosed the fact that my experience was with birds.

I did a quick search using google and came up with this link. I have no idea about this company or this book, but take it for what it's worth.

http://www.naturesniche.com/en/natur...095981204471X/

Hope I didn't waste much of your time, and I do wish you luck.
The book you recommend is the first one about SE-Asia insect that I heard of. I shall wait for the one I already bought and see if it meet my need. I start taking pictures of insects but they areall so strange to my novice eyes. I would like to know more about them. One hundred photos (species)in the book may not meet my needas there are much more than that number of species in our garden.I shall look into the book if I can findit at book store in Bangkok. Thanks for your kind assistance.