Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 14, 2006, 11:37 PM   #1

took this today at a wetland park with my Sigma 80-400

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 3:43 AM   #2

aaahh no your just showing off.

How do you do it squirl I've got the same lens but different camera

I read one of your posts the other day it was the Tamron macro shot and you supplied us with the settings , so i tried those setting and they worked a treat i have the tamron 90mm macro lens. So i just wanna say thanks for that info.

But back to this post reeeally nice pic squirl I don't suppose you have the settings ha ha ha nah just kidding.

I think the main problem i've got is the lack of light we had a really nice day couple days back the sun was shining and it really made an improvement to the photo's

did you use a tripod for this shot or was it handheld.

bodge
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:07 AM   #3

wadge1 wrote:
Quote:
aaahh no your just showing off.

How do you do it squirl I've got the same lens but different camera

I read one of your posts the other day it was the Tamron macro shot and you supplied us with the settings , so i tried those setting and they worked a treat i have the tamron 90mm macro lens. So i just wanna say thanks for that info.

But back to this post reeeally nice pic squirl I don't suppose you have the settings ha ha ha nah just kidding.

I think the main problem i've got is the lack of light we had a really nice day couple days back the sun was shining and it really made an improvement to the photo's

did you use a tripod for this shot or was it handheld.

bodge
hi Bodge... this was handheld, but with a little help from the railing along the boardwalk. oh, and if it helps, i shot thisat 400mm, 1/500, f5.6, ISO 640...

good light is everything. :G

Old May 15, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
VP

Nice flower shot squirl! On those settings.....did you use manual or other mode?
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 1:02 PM   #5

Oh no, I'm sorry you're going to have to stop posting these, they're way too good :G

Seriously though, I like it lots,

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 1:28 PM   #6

VP wrote:
Quote:
Nice flower shot squirl! On those settings.....did you use manual or other mode?
this was taken in Tv mode (shutter priority). i was actually looking for some critters, and had the shutter at 1/500 for moving animals. i came across this, so i just took the shot without resetting the camera. i tend to use shutter mode more often than not when i'm hand-holding the lens, and aperture when using a tripod.
Old May 15, 2006, 3:25 PM   #7
VP

Thanks squirl. I'm just the opposite, other than I don't use a tripod (not practical for most of my shots) I pretty much shoot in Av for the speed and less DOF. Even in Tv I don't get much DOF.....just not as smooth a Bokeh.

Meant to say.....the bokeh in your flower shot is pretty nice. Type of background helps.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 4:09 PM   #8

i don't use a tripod either, most of the time... too slow,and too restrictive for wildlife shots. my 80-400mm lens is stabilized, though, and i can shoot handheld down to about 1/125 even at full zoom (640mm equivalent on my 1.6x body) and still get sharp photos.

the only time i really shoot in Av mode is if i really want to contol DOF. unfortunately, where i live, much of the time the light is poor enough that i'm shooting wide open, even at moderately high ISO settings, and in shutter mode, i often find the aperture numbers in my viewfinder blinking if i try to shoot faster than 1/320-1/400. now, forflowers, which don't usually try to escape when i point my howitzer at them, that's okay, i can slowdown to whatever i need to get the aperture to an acceptable level. but for anything that moves, i have to maintain a pretty fast shutter, and my aperture often winds up wide open... no DOF, but at least i can freeze the motion.

it's all about compromises, isn't it?? *sigh*