Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:17 AM   #1

Some critter wanted inside I love these things. I really wish I could of let it in but there's no way to get the screen out...well, there is but I probably would just drop it(and my jeep is sitting right outside, 3 stories down!)

Anyway, this I beleive was on ISO100, 1 sec shutter, F2.8, no flash, tripod(of course). Camera was my new Panasonic FZ20.

The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 2:24 AM   #2

nice close up shot! how are you liking the FZ20 so far? how far from the moth were you? the FZ won't focus real close at anything over 1-2x, unless you have an adapter and use a close-up lens...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:43 AM   #3

Do you have a lens that you're reccomend for better macros? I really didn't care to get too much closer to this critter, but it would be nice with some of my photos... I saw a 10x macro filter on ebay, but I wasn't sure if it'd just be a waste of money.

Oh yeah, and I'm very happy with my camera thus far
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4

great to hear you like the FZ20. i love it as well

thats a big moth you have there wow! the colors of it are very nice

i recently (yesterday) bought the RAYNOX dcr-250, its a macro add-on lens and works great with the FZ20. though you'll need the RT5264P adapter with it to use the lens.
the RAYNOX lens has 3 elements, and i heard that it keeps any type of abberation at its lowest. while 1 element lenses are very soft and give bad image quality.

i tried out the dcr-250 today, here are the first 3 shots.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=50
(scroll to the bottom)

you won't be unhappy with this lens, i already love it.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

So I take it you have a FZ20 as well? Those pics are quite impressive! I found the lens on ebay for about $50, but I found some others that were also the same price that apparnetly fit without addaptors. Some of the ones I found were like 6 elements, too. Now, I don't know much about what that means, but I assume the more the merrier :roll:
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

most close up lenses have no more than 2 or 3 elements. the good ones all require an adapter of some sort, since the FZ20 doesn't have front threads on the lens, and the plastic adapter that comes with it places the filter or accessory lens too far in front of the main lens. i have a Phayee adapter for my FZ20, and can recommend it wholeheartedly, but you can also get good ones made by Pemaraal and Raynox. the adapter will also let you use polarizers, special effects filters, etc., which are difficult to use otherwise. most of the aftermarket adaptershave 62mm front threads, though some can be had with 58mm or even 52mm threads. the Phayee is 62mm. the smaller thread diameter makes filters a lot cheaper than the 72mm which Panasonic uses for their plastic adapter.

the DCR250 is, i believe, an 8-diopter lens, which is very strong, great for extreme macros, but the depth of field is absolutely tiny. there are other lenses, less powerful, which will provide more DOF while still offering excellent close-up capabiltiy, such as the Olympus MCON 35 and the Nikon 5T. the Oly is 3 diopter, i think, and the Nikon is 1.5. Nikon used to make a 3-diopter lens as well, the 6T,but foor som reason they recently discontinued it. it's an excellent lens - i have one - and takes great macro shots! the advantage of one of these lenses isn't just that it magnifies the image. the main benefit is that it lets you focus at some distance ranging from about 8 to about 20 inches, depending on whichlens you buy, and still use the full 12x zoom of the FZ20. without it, you're stuck focusing at 2" and using 1x zoom to try to capture macro shots. the Nikon 6T, for instance, focuses at 12-13", and from that distance, at 12x zoom, you can capture some pretty spectacular details.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7

Hmm...well here's one of the lenses I foudn this morning, and it comes with it's own addaptor.
http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-Close-Up-Mac...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:31 PM   #8

yes i have an fz20 as well

what squirl said is spot on. but take these things into account as well:
allmost every adapter for the FZ20 is made out of metal, except the one you got with the cam, so its a good idea to buy a new one.
also the 1 element lens (atleast, it looks like a 1 element lens) that you saw on ebay will probably give you dissapointing images, because of the distortion and softness that it will give in corners, also +10 is allot, and it will be difficult to get your objects into focus while holding the camera with the hand.

(extra info: the dcr-250 is very strong, and you can use it from approx. 10-12cm distance from the object at 12x zoom. takes allot of practise to use handheld)

(and sorry for the bad english :roll: )
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:14 PM   #9

OK then... I'll keep that lens in mind and probably get it later. I just purchased a spare battery for mine and a new tripod(mostly for my video camera, but I'm sure it'll be used on the FZ20...)