Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1

some close-ups from the butterfly exhibit at the local zoo this afternoon... all shot with Sigma 80-400, various shutter speeds and apertures.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:37 AM   #2

thoose are incredable, your picture taking is great! You have some great wildlife where you live.
nacho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:55 PM   #3

nacho32 wrote:
Quote:
thoose are incredable, your picture taking is great! You have some great wildlife where you live.
thanks, Nacho... actually, i cheated a bit. these aren't wild, they're part of a butterfly exhibit at a local zoo. still, they are beautiful creatures... :G
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4

Ha, I was about to say, 'nice variety, I've never seen that many butterflies in the wild', then I saw what you said. Great shots though! I love all the colors!
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:07 PM   #5

beautiful captures of some lovely coloured butterflies, Squirl.

Really I love the colours you brought out in the butterflies, and I think your exposures and focus is GREAT. Well done! Keep shooting and sharing.

I know a number of on-line photocourses recommend going to a local park or zoo to practise different types of photo techniques. And I can see there is great merit in that. No need to always spend hours and lots of money travelling when a local option can provide so much variety. (even if it might seem like "cheating" if you don't mention it was at the zool) But you did that in the first place.

I've not got a local butterfly place here... shame. The other day when I had some time Itried a couple of wild butterflies but they were far too jittery and always hid behind a leaf or blade of grass for just a few seconds then were off again. I've only managed to catch (by photo) some wild butterflies ona very few occasions.

One of my favourites (from last year September) I'm posting below (hope you don't mind me adding to your thread) but I don't really think I did so well in it, especially the depth of field (the butterfly flew off after this one photo). Still.... let me know what you think of it. This photo was taken with my humble point and shoot Fuji F601 (my pocket camera now since I've bought a dSLR since then).

Again, thanks for sharing with us these lovely photos of such amazingly unique creatures, Squirl. Your camera gear is serving you well, glad you're enjoying it!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6

hi Paul. your little point-n-shoot did pretty well! not sure if that's a butterfly or some kind of moth... it's awful furry for a butterfly! :lol: but i love the colors. don't worry about the DOF... point-n-shoot cams aren't very good at that, and the angle you took the pic at made DOF almost immaterial anyway.

i've been making use of local parks a lot since i got the Canon. there are enough places close by to capture a variety of subjects, that it's fairly easy to get out and practice. there's a botanical garden about 15 minutes from my house (see my flower posts on this board, most were shot there) and a wetland wildlife preserve even closer. and with a large lake for shooting sunsets over, i've pretty much got it all... though it takes a little longer to drive far enough to get good shots of Mt. Rainier or Saint Helens... :G

but you're right... i'm having a ball with the 30D, and it is giving me more "keepers" than i got with my fZ20...

Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:27 AM   #7

Excellent focus and colors.
Joe B.
joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:31 AM   #8

Those sure are some great butterfly shots you have there Squirl, very even if they did come from a zoo!

Paul's shot is a Peacock butterfly BTW see http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/speci...r_name=Peacock

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

Squirl, Thanks for the kind comments on my rather mediocre (by comparison to yours!) butterly shot. I'm glad you are having many keepers with your 30D. I'm glad to also have quite a lot of keepers and ones people ask copies of with my Canon (350D) too.

John, thanks for confirming the insect I captured! You are a great source of knowledge, I'm amazed! I just caught this butterfly (*yes, I was wondering too with the big furry body, was it a coloured moth? *) and that's all I know!! So thanks for informing me / us!

All the best,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote