Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:30 PM   #1

as you all know, this pic got front page exposure in my local paper. well, a few days later, i got an email from the photo editor telling me that he'd had a call from someone wanting to use the photo for a project, and he gave me the person's contact information.

turns out the fellow is a local musician who wants to use the photo for a CD cover! he's not a big name, and has a pretty limited budget, but he really wants to use the photo, and i'd really like to get the exposure, so we came to an agreement... i get $100 up front for a 2-year, single-use, non-exclusive license, and a 2% royalty on gross sales once he sells over 750 copies of the CD. like i said, at this point, he's just another club singer, but he'll be selling the CD on line, so he's got a pretty large marketplace, and he could sell a lot of CDs. and, of course, i get onefree for my "portfolio"!:lol:it's not gonna make me wealthy, certainly, but it does get my name out there, and who knows? someone famous could see that CD cover, and...

anyway, i'm not oneto toot my own horn, but i'm kinda tickled about this... it's my first photo sale for any mass-market product! i've sold single prints before, and made some money one summer (many years ago) taking photos for a white-water rafting company, but those were all one-time sales of single prints to individuals. this is the first real deal i've ever done for anything that will be sold to the public, and i'm pretty excited!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:40 PM   #2
LT7

:lol::-)CONGRATULATIONS!! That's awesome.
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

It is the recognition that counts, not the money. Keep up with the good work and many more of the same will knock on your door, I am sure.

By the way, could not see that photo here in Steve's. Can you post it here for our viewing?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:23 AM   #4

Oh, I knew which photo you talking about.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:09 PM   #5

Thats awsome squirl!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:32 PM   #6

cool!
WenchyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:50 PM   #7

this just keeps getting better...

on Monday, i submitted this photo to a national magazine for their reader photos section, and today i got a call saying they're going to publish it!! now, this is really big news, because this is a magazine accustomed to seeing the best photos in the world! my little bubble photo is going to appear in the October issue of National Geographic!! wow! it will also appear in their online edition, so it as the opportunity to be seen by literally hundreds of thousands of people! admittedly, the "Your Photos" section is on the back page, but the way i look at it, their photo editors see about 5000 photos a month submitted for that feature, and they're used to seeing the best images in the world on their pages, so getting published anywhere in a magazine of that stature is seriously cool!!

this is really exciting. i never dreamed when i took that shot that it would turn into anything like this, much less anything more. i feel almost like i'm on the verge of something really big, like there's suddenly a whole new batch of possibilities out there, and that's pretty neat...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:45 PM   #8

Wow, nice going squirl!

Well done, and very very

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:55 PM   #9

Well Done Squirl, I'm very happy for you !!! [excellent shot as well !!!!]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:04 PM   #10

Please add my congratulations. When I first saw that shot, I had no doubt that it had great potential. May it carry you far. I am happy for your success.
All the best,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote