Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:05 PM   #1

It seems that every so often that a new model camera comes along that has a lot of people interested in knowing whether it's really as good as the manufacturer claims, or just all hype. Enter the Fuji S100fs. I have visited a few forums, and there seems to be considerable anticipation for some professional reviews...yet to date, there are none. Once the word gets out that someone has reviewed it, I'm sure that thousands of people will be visiting that site to read all about it. Isn't that worth something to the review site?

So Steve, my question is, why hasn't it been reviewed here? Are you waiting for a loaner camera from Fuji? Is there some priority list that all professional review sites have to follow? You go second this time? Why wouldn't you want to scoop the other sites and be first? Why would you sit back and let another site beat you to the punch?

If this were my site, I would go out and buy one, review it, then publish the results. I would be the first. Everyone would come to my site to read my review. Then if I no longer wanted the camera, I would sell it on my site to one of my faithful members...or give it away as a prize in a photo contest.

I understand you couldn't do that for every new camera that comes out, but for those few that seem to be really special...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:26 PM   #2

I reckon it would be nicer if you just ask if a review could be done on this camera, and not bother about giving instructions/directions etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:39 PM   #3

I reckon it would be nicer if you would refrain from giving me advice that I didn't ask for...unless you have something intelligent to add...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:40 PM   #4
Administrator

OK guys.

Let's drop it.

Thanks.

JimC

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Administrator

As anyone can imagine reviewing over 150 cameras each year requires a production schedule which affords each camera an equal testing. Unlike other sites we only post "hands-on" full reviews. We do not try to pass off regurgitations of Press Releases' as our work in an attempt to draw traffic and clicks to purchasing opportunities for equipment which is not yet in the supply chain. We do post Press Releases from the manufacturers so we can keep our fans abreast of the newest equipment coming to market.

We have been doing camera reviews now for over 10 years and are on each manufacturer's "A" list. We can only review so many cameras at a time so we only allow the manufacturers to send us cameras based on our production schedule, we usually only have 30 days to turn equipment around. This means that other sites may get to a particular camera before we do. We are friendly with the other sites and do not feel the need to horde the cameras, we will get to all the models sooner or later. We feel that every camera is an important addition to the offerings for consumers. We realize there are certain models which will create more excitement than others and we get excited too but we have to review the units as they come in and as time allows. Each consumer camera review requires about 50 man hours while dSLR's can run into 100 hours.

With all that said, we will continue our work here on the reviews and attempt to get them done in a timely manner.

Regarding the S100fs, as you state Hun, there are no reviews of this unit out on the net yet, I know as soon as the review units become available from Fuji we will start to see reviews, including ours. There are times that months pass from the time ofan announcement until review units are available, and then another few months before the camera is on the shelves.

Please note that we do not remove negative comments posted here as long as they are constructive. We will not tolerate anyone being unkind to other members. This resource is here for us all to be able to share ideas without fear of attack.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote