Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1

I just received my 1030SW today and was very impressed with Steve's review. I have always used this site as a reference prior to purchasing equipment.

The camera shipped with firmware update 1.1 which changes the video VGA ability on this camera when you use the new xD M+ card available on the Olympus site or the xD H and allows videos up to the capacity of the card at 30 fps (18 mins on a 2GB card). The xD M+ sells for $36.99 on their site.
  • Now supports movie recording on 4 GB and higher microSDHC cards.[/*]
  • Using an xD-Picture Card TypeM+ or TypeH, you can now continuously record movies with VGA quality ( 640 x 480 ) 30 fps up to the capacity of the card.[/*]
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_downloads.asp?id=1363&os=w
http://olympusamerica.com/files/oima_xd_vgaTimes.pdf

This update would change the chart on the features & controls page of the review.

Another new feature not mentioned is the battery charger can now be plugged directly in the wall or by using a cord, previous SW versions only offered the cord.

The microSD adapter mentioned in the review as required is included with the camera.

I have owned the 720SW and 790SW and been very pleased with the durability and photos of my grandsons taken in the pool! The camera is so easy to use I allow my 6 and 8 year old grandsons to use it, it is childproof!
DigitalPhotographerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:28 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums DigitalPhotographerNC. Thanks for the great info. We've updated the review with this new information.

This is a great addition, as the reviewer was disappointed that the camera would only record 10-seconds of video at 640x480 (30fps).

We're glad our site was a useful resource for you.

Be sure to post often :|

-Billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:01 AM   #3

Hi there!

I also wanted to buy this camera, but it was a problem for me that there is this 10sec limit for making hi-res movies.

Do you know if with the firmware update it is also possible to make longer movies on microSD-cards ???

microSDs are faster that Type-H XDs, so actually, it should be possible!

Best regards,
Patrick
Stingery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 11:24 AM   #4

That's a good question. I'll see what I can find out.

-Billy
Old May 6, 2008, 5:28 PM   #5

Just got word from Olympus. Here is what they had to say:

"You are correct. The micro SD cards used in the Stylus cameras via the xD to mSD adapter will only allow for 10 seconds of video capture."

If you look at the link below (same oneDigitalPhotographerNC posted), you can see the possible recording times with the different media types.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/...d_vgaTimes.pdf

Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:50 PM   #6

billy wrote:
Quote:
Just got word from Olympus. Here is what they had to say:

"You are correct. The micro SD cards used in the Stylus cameras via the xD to mSD adapter will only allow for 10 seconds of video capture."
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/...d_vgaTimes.pdf
I downloaded the linked PDF and read the following table below for everybody's reference:

Stylus 1030 SW

Type M+ / Type H: 1GB=9m, 2GB = 18min (firmware update required)
Standard / Type M: 10sec
MicroSD: 10sec (firmware update required for >2GB microSD's)

This is rather a shortsighted and protectionist move on Olympus' part. Is there a product manager email contact where we can send a complain/product improvement suggestion? This is to encourage development towards the SD standard , or at least firmware updates to allow Sd-adapter cards to run with full functionality.

While we're at it, I'm anxious to hammer Olympus on their choice of a proprietary USB cord instead of the now-ubiquitous mini-USB connection, which even 2005-era cameras were adopting at the time.
d0hboy is offline   Reply With Quote