Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old May 6, 2008, 4:36 PM   #1

Please consider putting a button in our profile that allows the user to access all of their posts with one click of the mouse. That way we can get back to a thread that we want to add to without going on a hunting trip, without any hesitation. Sometimes a person will forget to bookmark a topic. There could be any number of reasons why they forget to bookmark a topic or thread.

I'm sure therehave been cases where a few people went away for awhileand then came back to visit a thread theyhad posted in days, weeks or months before. Their goal was to renew the conversation, to post again. Because they could not locate the thread (maybe due to a lack of time) they left the site never to come back.No matter whatwebsite were talking about in this example,that scenario is a very real possibility.

This is not the only discussion forum that's guilty of not installing a "find previous posts" button. Every discussion forum on the Internet needs to put a button in the users profile that will allow instant access to each and every one of their posts. Some of them do, a lot of them don't. Hunting trips on the Internet already take up way too much time, so lets do everything we can to make it easier, toutilize time, and to keep people coming back. (BTW, there's an old saying about the average Internet user: If they don't find what they're looking for in a matter of a few seconds, they'll hit the back button never to come back again.)

Go ahead andinsult me. I doubt I'll be back to read this thread anyway 'cause I probrably won't be able to find it when I want to. :lol:

Thank youfor reading. :G

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 4:47 PM   #2
Administrator

You can look at a member's profile (including your own) by clicking on the member name you'll see by any posts here. After you click on a member and select profile, you'll see a posts tab which has a list of the selected member's posts.

Here is a direct link to your posts:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=72315&posts=1

You can also click on the 'My Account' tab you'll see at the top of the forums screens here and view Watched topics and forums, with the ability to setup notification options under the preferences tab.

P.S.

For example, I'm setup so that I get notifications when new replies are made to topics I've participated in, and I can simply click on the "My Accounts" button at the top of every forums page to see that list of threads, so that I can see new responses in those topics.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 5:31 PM   #3

>i've always known that you can view another posters post, or my own, by clicking on their name. But their name must be either in a thread or, sometimes, down at the "Who's Online" index. Which means that if you're just lurking, you have to make a post just so you can get to all of your posts by clicking on your username. Compared to a "find previous post" button in a persons profile, that method is tedious, circuitous, and slow.

>watched topics or what other forums call "subscribed topics": as I mentioned in my thread starter, some people forget to click on the "watch this topic" button or the "subscribe to this thread" button. It happens.

>a third option that some forums offer (and a decent one at that because it is fairly quick and direct) is to simply scroll down to the bottom to the "Who's Online" index. It is there where you can click on your own name or someone elses usersname and find any and all previous posts. Unfortunately, this site does not offer that feature.

I still think that having a "find all posts" button in a persons profile would be a faster option for the user, and I'm basing that on experience. Again, it's not just this site that I'm criticizing. A lot of sites out there fail to include that feature, but they should provide it and the lack of such a button is always a little annoying. If the site already gets a lot of visitors, then they most likely won't be inclined to make it easier for a user to find their old posts because keeping traffic is not a primary concern.

Kudos to the sites that provide that type of button in their users profile. I can't imagine why all the other sites don't offer it. One reason why they might not provide the user with a "find all posts" button is to force the user into making a new post to click on, but I'm just speculating on that. In other words, at a site that doesn't provide a "find all posts" button in my profile, I might enter a thread I'm not the least bit interested in, post a quick post that might be uninformative and uninteresting, just so I can click on my name in order to find an old post that I want to update.

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 5:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Perhaps I'm miunderstanding what you are trying to do.

If you click on the My Account button that's already at the top of every forums page, and you'll see a list of watched topics (that by default is going to include the topics you've participated in). That sounds like the threads list you want with a click of one button. You'll see a My Account button at the top of every screen in the forums here to pull up that threads list. Please press that button and let us know if that's the threads list you're trying to find (a list that should contain all topics you've participated in by default).

Thanks.

Old May 7, 2008, 9:58 AM   #5

On other forums I belong to, there is a flag for the threads you've posted in so that when you log on subsequently its easy to scan through and see if anyone has posted since your comment. This forum already uses the convention to show which threads have new posts. It also highlights "popular" threads. I find this feature quite meaningful personally and would love to see it added. It seems like an incremental change (which I read somewhere was preferntial to an overhaul for this forum) that could be implemented without too much trouble.

Cheers!
Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:02 AM   #6

Sorry for the double post. I tried to edit my last post but it wouldn't let me.

I don't think "watch topic" is default for all threads you've posted in. You need to manually opt to watch the topic. I do at least. After I posted my last message, the button at the bottom still said "watch topic". Then I went to 'My Account'and this thread was not on the list of watched topics.

Thanks,

Brian
Old May 7, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Administrator

Brian:

I did some testing and it looks like it only works that way if you have the box checked to send e-mail notifications turned on in your preferences. So, this part does look like it could use some improvement (not everyone is going to want e-mail notifications).

Thanks for pointing that out.

To enable this feature so that all topics you participate in show up in the list you'll see when you click on My Account, press the My Account button and click on the Preferences Tab. Then, check the box for "Always notify by e-mail when replies posted to topics you participated in" and press Save.

Old May 7, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8

Jim,

I just did that. Thank you!