Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old May 15, 2008, 1:48 PM   #1

I have a quick question. I pretty much use Steves Sample Shots as a benchmark for any camera I look at. Why is the ISO information usually not mentioned? It usually just says "Auto ISO unless noted". This really doesn't help me decide if the quality of the picture is good or bad. I look at a photo, feel it's a bit noisy, but I don't know if the camera used a high ISO or not. So I really can't make an educated decision from that shot. Also all the EXIF info is stripped, so I can't even look in there. Is there a reason for this? And if not, would it be possible to either take all pictures at the lowest ISO or just mention the ISO the picture was taken at, or even better, keep the EXIF information intact? Thanks you.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2008, 3:35 PM   #2

Hi Michi, thanks for your question. We only post the ISO used if we manually choose a setting for a shot (like our M&M man samples).

If there is a certain sample you are looking at, you can right click, then save image as with your browser. Then you can pull up the image on your PC and use one of the many tools/programs to look at the EXIF information. We never remove the info from our samples, they are straight out of the camera. So, I'm not sure what images you are referring too. If you could please point me to the specific model you are looking at, I can take a look to be sure someone didn't make a mistake when posting the sample images.

With most compact digicams, we leave the ISO set at Auto, as this is what most of the consumers will tend todo. Now if it's a model thatis geared more towards novice users (with controls like Aperture and Shutter Speed priority, Manual, etc.), we usually set the camera at the lowest ISO setting possible.

If I can be of more assistance, please feel free to ask.

-Billy

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:58 PM   #3

Hi Billy.I talked with JimC about this also and he told me the same thing. Thanks for your replies!
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote