Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:45 PM   #1

Hi,
I've never had any problem posting pics in the past so, I'm not sure if it's my computer or if I'm doing something wrong. :angry:It seems that most of the time when I size a photo down to the 700 pixels it is rarely down to the maximum 250 kbps or less, even so when I do resize it at 250 it won't let me post it until I take it down to the 23o range or even less some times. Any idea what could be the problem?
Also, I notice some of the guys will post two or more pics in one post. Is this acceptable and how do I do that? :-)
Thank you,
John
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I've never had any problem posting pics in the past so, I'm not sure if it's my computer or if I'm doing something wrong.
You'll need to use a lower jpeg quality setting (higher jpeg compression level) to make sure the file size is small enough (approx. 240KB). Most image editors allow you to change the compression level. Around 85% is usually fine for making sure the file size is acceptable.

When I use Windows, I use the free Irfanview for downsizing images.

After you open an image, select "Image>Resize/Resample" and make the width around 640 to 720 pixels wide for posting. Leave the Preserve Aspect Ratio box checked. After you click OK, use the "File>Save As" menu choice and give it a new filename. I'd set the Quality slider you see come up at around 80% to 85% to keep the file size within limits.

Then, when you make a post, you can browse for it using the Browse button you'll see here and attach it.

[img]attachment.php?id=56613[/img]

This software will also work in batch mode. That allows you to downsize many photos at the same time using the same settings.

Quote:
Also, I notice some of the guys will post two or more pics in one post. Is this acceptable and how do I do that? :-)
Yes (this is acceptable). But, the photos will need to be on a publically viewable web site if you want to use that technique (you can only attach one image per post unless you're just embedding links to photos located on another web site).

Here is one service you may want to look into (and there are many more):

http://www.pbase.com

Then, instead of attaching a photo using the Browse button you'll see when typing a new post, use the [img]images/buttons/image.gif[/img] button instead (and simply paste the link to the photo in the entry screen that comes up).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3

Thank you Jim,
I have been useing CS3 to resize pics, thats been no problem but, what's been frustrating is even when I get them down to 240kb the site still rejects them until I get down to about 235kb or so.
I like the idea of the link to offsite posting, I think I'll try that, thanks again!
PS. This is a great site, keep up the great job!!!
John
ps ps. we need more expression icons...:blah:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote