Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:19 PM   #1

Hi, Have been trying several times to post in Close-ups, and on the Pentax boards, but nothinnnng will stick ???. Are there any problems ?. ...Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:21 PM   #2

First one to stick, can't weigh it up ?.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:31 PM   #3
Administrator

I'd click on "Logout", click on "Login", then use the "Reset the Cookie used by this board" link you'll find on the login screen. Then, login again and see if that solves your problems. The forums were moved to newer servers recently, and you may have a cookies issue.

Make sure you're using the correct URL to the forums, too.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com

If you use the old address at http://www.stevesforums.com, it can cause login and cookie problems. See this old reminder about it from Dec. 2007:

A reminder - set bookmarks to forums.steves-digicams.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:36 PM   #4

OK Jim,
I was previously posting from a PC, only change I've made is to post from a Linux box, and that seems to work OK, I will reset cookies on the othe machine ... Thanks ... Jack
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:57 PM   #5
Administrator

Please send me a PM if that doesn't solve it. But, I suspect it will since I've seen a few other members with issues until they reset cookies.

Linux, huh? Of course that one worked (only teasing, as it's probably just a cookies issue). :-)

I'm a linux fan. I'm posting this from Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 running under DreamLinux 3.5 (based on Debian Lenny, but I'm using some packages and updates from Debian Testing and Unstable) under an LXDE desktop right this minute. Of course, most users wouldn't run KDE apps like digiKam under LXDE, since installing all of the libraries needed sort of defeats the purpose of a lighter desktop. ;-) I'm just testing it right now.

I've got Windows Vista, SimplyMEPIS 8.0 (separate partitions for 32 bit and 64 bit versions), DreamLinux 3.2 (customized with KDE 3.5 and more), DreamLinux 3.5 (with KDE 3.5.10 and LXDE desktops added from Debian repos), and OpenSUSE 11.1 (KDE 4.x) installed right this minute.

I tend to use SimplyMEPIS 8.0 (Debian Lenny base using KDE 3.5.10) as my primary desktop, and install and use other distros as time permits (mostly to keep up with their progress).

Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:03 AM   #6

Hi Jim,
Over the years I've tried Linux several times, but never really got into it. Recently I made my second PC dual-boot with Ubuntu linux, and find it runs better and faster on

that PC than windows ever did, so I've persevered with it, and now seem to be getting a better handle on linux than previously. I confess I'm running a few windows

favourite programs via Wine, but so far no luck running Photoshop that way, I might see if Gimpshop will work, or maybe I'll have to get my head around gimp itself. LOL

Thanks for the prompt replies, I think all is sorted out now. ... Jack
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:11 AM   #7
Administrator

Great (everything is sorted out).

Yes, newer versions of Photoshop will not run properly under Wine yet (although CS2 will run that way now). Wine is getting better and better though. I'm using the latest 1.1.19 version of Wine (just released a few days ago), and I've been very impressed with it's progress.

You can also run Windows in a virtual machine under Linux if you have software that doesn't "play nice" with Wine. For example, check out Sun's Virtual Box (free).

But, image editing software for Linux is constantly maturing now, and you should see more choices as time passes. For example, digiKam is great for image management and basic editing tasks (with lots of nice features available via available kipi plugins). You've also got commercial products like Bibble Pro with Linux versions available.

As for the GIMP, it still lacks features that some photographers may want. But, it's been moving in the right direction with relatively ambitious design goals for upcoming releases, including integration of the GEGL library to allow for higher bit depth editing. You can see some of the newer features in the 2.6 release notes here:

http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.6.html

I've got the latest GIMP 2.6.6 release installed under Linux now, but I usually prefer other tools (for example, digiKam) for most of what I do with images. If you want to learn more about how to use the GIMP, see this page for links to user guides, tutorials, a variety of books, FAQs and more:

http://www.gimp.org/docs/

You'll also find a WIKI here:

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/

Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8

Hey !, great links Jim they're appreciated thanks, I have them all bookmarked, and will check them out further at my leisure. I've never found Gimp easy, gimpshop helped, but only because of

my knowledge of PS which I've been learninng for several years now, and still am for that matter, I don't think you ever end the process.

Yes, I've renewed the bookmark, and reset cookies ... posting as normal now. ... Jack