Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1

Hey Steve,
I was looking at an old review from 2000 you did on the Olympus C-2100 aka UZ 1 and noticed how much you praised the camera at the time. Seeing how much cameras have changed in the last almost ten years since this classic cam was introduced. Would you rather pay $150 for a mint condition 2MP C-2100 or $150 for a brand new 3X zoom 10+ MP point n shoot camera?

Thanks for your site
Barry
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:26 AM   #2

I'm not Steve, however I have used the Oly C-2100UZ as well as the E-100RS Steve gave me back in the day. Both were amazing cameras during their time.

As far as choosing between the two you posted, it's not an easy answer as each camera is in a completely different category. On one side you have a nice classic super-zoom, while on the other you have a compact camera with only a 3x zoom.

So, it depends on what you plan on shooting. The C-2100's 2-megapixel sensor has plenty of resolution if you only plan on making 4x6 - 8x10-inch prints. In fact, I've made a couple of nice 8x10's from my old E-100RS, which was only 1.6MP.

I personally would love to have a C-2100UZ or another E-100RS (I miss mine :sad, so I'd probably opt to buy the older model. Plus, I like to have a better zoom range as well.

Other questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do I want to stick this camera in my pocket
What do I planning on shooting
What features are important to me (LCD size, Memory type, Battery type, etc)

Good luck on whatever you decide!!

:|

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:53 AM   #3

Hey Billy,
LOL, I happen to own three UZ1s, all bought off Ebay in the last year for
less than $100 each in fantastic shape. I normally don't print any larger than 8 x 10 so it's fine for my needs. I got a new Panasonic TZ 4 just before Christmas last year, it also has a 10X zoom but I bought it forgetting it didn't have an optical viewfinder as an option to the LCD on the back. It's a shame that's the trend even with cams with only a 3 X zoom. Even with the newest technology, LCD screens are still hard to see in bright sunlight and those "shades" have never worked for me. I sell Smartmedia cards on Ebay and that is biggest drawback of the C-2100 as they're not made anymore. I think with it's bigger size than SD or XD, it seems like they could have made them larger than 128mb and therefore been a competitive format. The Olympus 4040 4MP camera was produced about the same time the format was on it's last legs and a 128mb is hardly enough room to hold vaction shots at the camera's highest quality setting.

Barry
Old May 1, 2009, 1:53 PM   #4

The other thing you need to consder is mega-pixel count. If you eant to print pictures of any size than you need something higher than what the C-2100UZ will give you. My uncle owns one and has used it off and on since he got it in 2001 and the largest he can print at detail is 5 x 7. If you want to make very good large prints you'll need something with more mega-pixels But I do have to say he loves his camera and the 3 64MB cards he has for it.

David Stemple
[email protected]
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 1:59 PM   #5

Photo 5, I've printed a usable 8x10 from my E-100RS, which has only 1.6MP.

If you look closely, you can see that it doesn't have optimal resolution, but framed and hanging on the wall it looks terrific from a couple feet away.

However, you do have a good point. If one was plan on making larger prints, a newer model with more resolution will better fit the bill.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 2:46 PM   #6

Billy,
I was going to say the same thing, if you make 8x10s and hang the prints on the wall, they look great!! Even top of the line Kodaks Instamatics with Extar lenses that cost about $180.00 in the 1960s (expensive then) could not produce a print as good as the UZ1 one can and were talking about film here. Anyway, every year the bar gets raised as far as the megapixel count, in a few years we'll be saying that a 20 MP camera isn't good enough.