Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 3:53 AM   #2

Default May available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
Missing viewing May Tech Corner.

Mike pretty busy?

Thank you,
I see that May Tech corner is available. An interesting discussion, but why micro ? Surely a normal sized DSLR could be made without the flapping mirror and prism arrangement. This would simplify construction, increase mechanical reliability and possibly reduce costs, whilst allowing the use of normal lenses. However that is not the reason for this post.

There is some mis-information in the My Tech Corner that is quite common: "When people talk about SLR cameras they generally think of a big camera where you look through a viewfinder, see through the lens, and when you take the shot, the mirror flips up to expose the image sensor"
This is just not true. In an SLR you are looking not through the lens, but at an image projected by the lens onto a screen with some texture. In this respect as soon as an electronic viewfinder is made with the same "resolution" and brightness as the ground glass screen on an SLR, the arguments against the EVF should diminish. But for certain, with an SLR you are not looking through the lens. It might feel as though you are, but you are not.
Unless I am wrong, of course
Ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 5:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken from the uk View Post
.. In an SLR you are looking not through the lens, but at an image projected by the lens onto a screen with some texture. ....as soon as an electronic viewfinder is made with the same "resolution" and brightness as the ground glass screen on an SLR, the arguments against the EVF should diminish. But for certain, with an SLR you are not looking through the lens. It might feel as though you are, but you are not...
I agree with the thrust of your message, Ken, but not quite with its expression. In both viewing methods (SLR & EVF) one sees a representation of the subject produced principally by the prime lens, and then displayed via an eyepiece one way or another.

The way I prefer to put it, is that...

...SLR is 'What You See Is Roughly What You Might Get' if your settings and the camera agree with your eye and your expectations, "WYSISYMG",...

...while EVF, provided it presents a valid live preview, is 'What You See Is Just What You Will Get', plus any desired digital data, especially a histogram, "WYSIJWYG+".

Ever since getting my first EVF-fitted superzoom I have been doing most of my photoshopping before pushing the button. An instant, immediate few seconds' 'quickview' of the thumbnail in the EVF confirms that the preview looks identical (or not).

To my astonishment, I rediscovered that my son's abandoned 5-year-old Sony S4 P&S, just resurrected for my octogenarian mother-in-law, has elements of this approach built in, albeit on a small, dim rear LCD screen. By default, EV can be twiddled up and down on live preview with single button clicks. She has used it successfully several times to avoid blown highlights.

Perhaps what is needed for the future is (a) big EVFs with good magnification of portions of the image to allow easy differential focus, PLUS (b) a standard, preferably large, straight-through optical viewfinder for those who want to see the real world as well the digitally rendered one. They could have one for each eye!

Aside: If we get away from the pentaprism, the future cameras discussed in May's Tech Corner needn't be the same shape as SLRs. Superzooms have been, just so that they looked like little dSLRs.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote