Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old May 13, 2009, 4:10 AM   #1

Default Compliments from across the pond - notifications

Now I've got used to it, I like the new interface (in its 'light phase') very much, and the improvement in speed is striking. I'm gradually learning to get things just as I want them.

A huge benefit I am experiencing is the complete absence of advertising. If this is just because I'm not in the USA, this is not an invitation to install it over here.

Also, on my main (antique) machine the wildly jumping smilies box alongside the editor has calmed down a lot. I'm pretty sure the old one slowed everything down. The recommended 'iespell' checker is excellent, and allows me happily to maintain UK independence by using British English.

I haven't fully got notifications sorted out. Can I get (as I had previously) email notification for every post in those forums to which I'm subscribed, rather than just the threads in which I'm participating? Although this sometimes led to lots of incoming mail, I found it very useful in determining whether or not to interrupt other work to start up Steve's and take a look, and it gave a quick indication of which threads not to bother with.

Congratulations to the all the team on a remarkably smooth switchover.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator

About the advertising.... At present, we don't show ads to logged in members. If you're logged out, you should see them.

And the notifications..... I changed all existing users to automatically be subscribed to threads they post in. It subscribes you with no email notification. I did this because it's the least aggressive option but introduces everyone to the subscription system. Every user can change this setting in the UserCp.

But that doesn't answer your question! You want to know if you can be notified of replies to threads you haven't posted in! Sure you can. At the top of the first post in a thread you should see a "Thread Tools" drop down. In there is the option to subscribe to the thread. This will subscribe you to the thread with your default subscription choice. If you're set up to subscribe with instant email notification, that's what you'll get. If you're set up to subscribe with no notification, then.... well, I'm sure you get it.

Now, what about changing the subscription type for individual threads? Well, once your subscribed to a thread, go to the UserCP. This is going to display all threads in which you're subscribed that have new replies. If you click on View all Subscribed Threads, it'll show you every one that you're subscribed to. You'll notice that on the right hand side there's a check box. Check the threads that you'd like to change the subscription type on. Then, at the bottom there is a dropdown. In that dropdown, select the new subscription type that you want and hit the go button.

It's that simple (LOL). After doing it a couple times, I'm sure that it'll become second nature.
IB-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 1:36 PM   #3
Administrator

And thanks for the compliments!
Old May 15, 2009, 7:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-Dick View Post
....You want to know if you can be notified of replies to threads you haven't posted in! ....Sure you can.....there is the option to subscribe to the thread. ...If you're set up to subscribe with instant email notification, that's what you'll get. If you're set up to subscribe with no notification, then.... well, I'm sure you get it.

Now, what about changing the subscription type for individual threads? Well, once your subscribed to a thread, go to the UserCP.....It's that simple (LOL).....
Right. It's probably me who's stupid, but I think that if a brand new post appears, but I don't know about it yet, in a forum to which I'm subscribed, I won't get to know about it until the next email update (not often) for that forum. I'd like to get 'instant' notification of every post in forums to which I'm subscribed. AIUI, as it stands I have to wait until I get (probably tomorrow's) update on that subscribed forum before I even know it exists, unless I search for all new posts everywhere. Then I have actively to subscribe to that thread to get any more notifications, unless I post in it. Have I misunderstood or misspoken? (I love that GWB word; it means "been dumb").

I understand there may be sound operational or even financial reasons for it being this way (if it is so), but if I can get it back to the way it was, I'd like to know, please! But I can live with it if not. It drove my family nuts when I went away on holiday and forgot to switch off all 'Steve's Notifications'.

I can tell I'm not back where I was because my email traffic has fallen to a boring trickle compared to what I had. This means that I (and similar enthusiasts) may have to spend more time than we did on Steve's looking for the new posts which we may or may not not want to read urgently, when it's just possible we might have more important things to do. Were that possible, of course....
Old May 15, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Administrator

Ahh, I didn't realize that you were subscribing to FORUMS and not THREADS. You should be able to subscribe to forums just like how you subscribe to threads, with that instant email notification. Now, it batches up the emails to reduce the load so there may be some delay, but it shouldn't be hours and hours. Let me look at the configuration and see if there's a setting we're both missing.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Dick:

I looked earlier and I couldn't find an option for instant notification when subscribing to a forum. The only options I see under Forum Tools are for Daily or Weekly notification.

It looks like the Forums Manager in Admin has the ability to setup specific e-mail addresses that are notified upon new posts to a forum (you manually plug in the e-mail addresses you want to be notified there). But, I didn't find any settings to add that option for members subscribing to a forum (unless I missed it somewhere).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 1:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Dick:

I looked earlier and I couldn't find an option for instant notification when subscribing to a forum. ....).

Thanks, Jim, for the reassurance. My self confidence has been ebbing gradually away, as I collect my senior citizen's bus pass.
Old May 15, 2009, 6:58 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Dick:

I looked earlier and I couldn't find an option for instant notification when subscribing to a forum. The only options I see under Forum Tools are for Daily or Weekly notification.

It looks like the Forums Manager in Admin has the ability to setup specific e-mail addresses that are notified upon new posts to a forum (you manually plug in the e-mail addresses you want to be notified there). But, I didn't find any settings to add that option for members subscribing to a forum (unless I missed it somewhere).
I was half way through writing this exact same reply and I got distracted by a phone call. Thanks, Jim.
Old May 15, 2009, 8:23 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Alan T;968404]Now I've got used to it, I like the new interface (in its 'light phase') very much, and the improvement in speed is striking. I'm gradually learning to get things just as I want them.

Same here my eyes have gotten used to the weird font and all......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 2:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-Dick View Post
....Let me look at the configuration and see if there's a setting we're both missing.
Thanks, Dick. But don't waste much time on it unless others complain. Like I said, I can live with it, especially as everything is so much faster.