Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old May 14, 2009, 6:10 AM   #1

Default Steve's excellent search engine

I am pleased to find and report that the new built-in forum search engine is a huge improvement.

I have often wished to track down old posts on Steve's Forums, often my own as a quick way of tracking down the name and date of my images. This was a laborious task with the old search facility, and I generally used Google Advanced Search, with its search domain restricted as far I could within these forums.

The new, improved search facility here includes many of those 'advanced' features, and by remembering a few key words, I've succeeded quickly in finding exactly what I want several times already, without leaving the Forum.

This does, however, require remembering those few key words from the desired post, increasingly difficult as my need for a cranial upgrade increases.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2009, 7:59 AM   #2
Administrator

Alan:

If you're not careful with your posts about the new forum software, you'll give the Internet Brand team members responsible for the forums migration a "big head". :-)

But, they really do deserve the praise, even if the difficulty of this migration isn't obvious to most forum members, since they had to work on a lot of complex scripts to migrate the data to the new software.

As you've noticed, the search engine is a huge improvement. They worked hard on things like refining the default vBulletin search engine to work better with our lens searches (with odd strings like f/2.8 or f/3.5-4.5 that wouldn't work properly in most forums software search engines we've looked at in the past).

They even went the "extra mile" by addressing some of the data corruption issues we had from previous host changes, and managed to retrieve many thousands of posts with missing or corrupted topic records. So, now these threads will show up in searches for posts and member history (you'll see these labeled as Recovered Threads in their subject lines).

So, now we should have a much better platform in vBulletin to build on and enhance going forward (and it's a highly customizable system).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 8:22 AM   #3

Default ....right you are Alan, I agree

The search function was one of the first things I tried with the new system, I agree with you Alan it works, it works fast and it works well for finds.

In another forum I wrote to the original post author:

"If you've not seen but are interested in what other forum members have posted try doing an advanced forum search (see the Search pulldown tab above) for 'TITLE' with the search argument 70-300."

As you may suspect, I am aware of the kind of 'scripting' effort the team have been involved with and they've done a really good job.

I am liking the changeover functionality I've seen and commend IB & the Steve's team for responses to the mentions of the forum(s) members.

tnx, boBBrennan

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Alan:

If you're not careful with your posts about the new forum software, you'll give the Internet Brand team members responsible for the forums migration a "big head". :-)
Too late.

Just kidding. I'm glad you're please with the new functionallity.
IB-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote