Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

Default Message editor problem

When I re-edit one of my existing posts, I often find that the line breaks become incorrect in just the first couple of lines.

I have tried deleting the offending lines and retyping them, but they remain steadfastly incorrect. I have also tried removing all soft line break characters (ascii 10), and paragraph markers (ascii 13) and ensuring I have one long line, but still I can't get rid of them.

Is is possible that the editor just checks all the printing characters, finds they haven't changed, and therefore chooses to do nothing?

What am I doing wrong? There's an example at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos/156056-strong-not-so-strong.html#post975185

...and on re-editing this to remove a typo, I find this very post has done the same!

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:33 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know how you want it to look. But, I've found that it's best not to change things like the default colors and font sizes when making posts, and it looks like you're using a different font size for links for one thing (or you copied some of the links for somewhere else).. WYSIWYG editors can sometimes cause problems when you make changes when running custom themes. The browser being used can have a big impact on how a WYSIWYG editor works, too. I've been using Firefox and haven't noticed any problem editing my posts (as long as it's something I've typed, versus copied and pasted from somewhere else).

If you click on the upper right corner of a post after you click edit, it will change the editor mode so you can see the code tags being used instead of giving you a WYSIWYG editor. You may want to try that if you run into edit issues with a post.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:31 PM   #3

Thanks, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...I've found that it's best not to change things like the default colors and font sizes when making posts...you're using a different font size for links for one thing...
Well, all those aspects seem to me to be working perfectly. This is no surprise as they're very prominently on offer on the toolbar! Also, many unaffected threads have my shrunk-down links, and I've edited many posts since the software change without this problem, which has only just started.

Quote:
If you click on the upper right corner of a post after you click edit, it will change the editor mode so you can see the code tags...
Thanks very much for the tip! It would be useful if there were an entry in the FAQ about it. Maybe it's there already, but I can't find it. I just used it to delete one of the offending paragraphs and retyped it from scratch with the tags showing, and it's made no difference at all.

Hi-ho! I'll watch carefully and let you know if I manage to work out what's going on, i.e., what I've just been doing when the problem arises again.

Thanks,
Alan T.

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:45 PM   #4

There's an example at the start of a recently resurrected thread at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-resizing.html

...where I have done no non-standard editing at all, and it predates the switchover!

Last edited by Alan T; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:36 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
There's an example at the start of a recently resurrected thread at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-resizing.html

...where I have done no non-standard editing at all, and it predates the switchover!
Alan:

I can't quite figure out what you're referring to. This is what I'm seeing running in Firefox under Linux for the first post in that thread (if that's the one you mean). What operating system and browser are you using and what is different about what you're seeing?

Click on the image to see the larger version:

Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:23 PM   #6

I'm using IE7 under Windows XP/SP3. So far as I'm aware it's a completely standard installation, with all updates except IE8, which I don't want to install yet, because it's by all accounts likely to be much slower on my otherwise satisfactory machines. I haven't changed my setup in any way for quite a long time.

Your Firefox screen dump probably isn't showing the phenomenon, but I gave you a bad example there because the first paragraph contains some very long pathnames which might cause odd justification anyway. The Tay Bridge example is better. However, you can see in the attached screen dump of what I'm seeing, that the justification of my first paragraph is much narrower than that in the second and subsequent ones. It's as though its margin is set much narrower. It doesn't make any difference what size the window is, the formatting of that first paragraph remains the same, though all successive paragraphs readjust & re-justify the formatting as the window is changed in size.

I start off with a few apparently nicely formatted paragraphs, looking just as I expect, and suddenly the first paragraph only gets justified to a narrower margin. On my screen now, this reply in 'preview' has all four paragraphs justified to the same full width. It'll be interesting to see if they stay like that when I post it. At full screen 1280x1024, the text is about 1.5 times as wide as the attached screen dump image.

It may be quite unconnected, but I've also just noticed today that in some posts but not others, from myself and from other members, that the thin black frame drawn around attached images is sometimes much narrow than the image posted within and on top of it. Sometimes, it looks also as though a pair of these frames alongside each other is present , and the attached image is then superimposed opaquely on top of them. So that looks like a justification error as well.

Anyway, it's just a minor nuisance, and I can live with it.
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:56 AM   #7

I'm now seeing the same 'first two lines' anomaly in other people's posts as well, and I can demonstrate it to myself in my browser quite easily now, by resizing my browser window. There is definitely an anomaly in the formatting of just the first two lines of some posts, so that they behave as if their justification margins are much narrow than any subsequent lines.

For example, if we look at the first post of thread...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/156027-choosing-compact-superzoom.html ,

...as I shrink the width of my browser window by sliding its right hand edge leftwards, the text in that first paragraph rejustifies itself as I go, to leave most of the text nicely fitting the window. But the first two lines remain stubbornly justified at a much narrower width, and if I shrink the window far enough I finish up with one word per line in the first two lines of the paragraph, and perfectly justified text for the rest.

I wish I could make you a video to demonstrate it. If you can't see it yourself on that post, as you gradually shrink the width of your browser window, I could do you a pair of screen dumps to illustrate what I'm seeing, if you want.

Folk who always work with the browser window maximised won't see it so strikingly, but in a setup like mine, and maybe yours, the first two lines of text (ignoring the heading) are always using narrower margins for some reason in these messages.

Maybe this is something obscure to do with web page style sheet implementations, which must be a black art.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:41 AM   #8
Administrator

Thanks for the update Alan. I'll pass it on to the developers to see if there is something that can be done about it or not.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Administrator

Alan:

This issue should be fixed now.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:08 PM   #10

Excellent, thanks. I'm delighted I hadn't sent you and everyone chasing a red herring!