Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Steve's pages slow to load

Recently I acquired a dSLR and some nice lenses, and received good advice from Steve's. Now, however, I find that pages at Steve's are so slow to load that I am inhibited from dropping in. While waiting, now around a minute, it appears that pagead2.googlesyndication.com is being addressed. I'm connected by satellite, at around 100kbps, and have not noticed any change in load times at other websites I visit.
July is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Is this the forums or the main review site that you are seeing this issue?

I see something similar at times as well. However, once I get past the first time loading, it seems to be back up to speed (browsing reviews, forum posts, etc.). I don't think this is essentially a problem with our site or servers, but with Google.com

I'll pass this information on to our IT department and see if there is anything we can do on our end.

Thanks for pointing this out, and I hope we can get it figured out quickly so you can continue to enjoy our site and forums.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:55 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply, Billy. Yes, the first page to load seems the main culprit. Right now, when I enrered this forum through the link in your email, it took about a minute to load a partial first page - just the title of my first post. And then another 20 seconds to display the full page. During the waiting, pagead2.googlesyndication.com appeared to be loading. But moving from there to other parts of Steve's and back here again was as quick as it had been in the past. Very interesting.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:01 PM   #4
Administrator

It's a sporadic problem with Google's ad server, and as Billy said, there's not a terrible amount that we can do about it. They are aware of the problem and we've notified them numerous times about it. It's Google, so their communication isn't always the best, but they should be able to solve the bandwidth problems... you know, cause it's Google.

I will ping our contact at Google and let them know that you guys are reporting more than normal issues.
IB-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:23 PM   #5

Thank you for the news re Google, and your efforts. Yes, Google seems to be having problems. I tried to Google some this morning and timed out. No problem getting a weather forecast that doesn't seem to go through Google's ever-widening web, though. I'm prepared to believe that Google is doing its mightiest to resolve the issue. And, of course, relieved that all is well at Steve's.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6

Reporting the successful resolution of my issue with slow load times, here are extracts from correspondence with my ISP:

Sent to my ISP this morning:
... I was proceeding to investigate the slow Google issue on my two PCs connected through a modem, as per your suggestions. I was on the last step. In order to test by connecting directly as opposed through a router, I discovered that LAN had been disabled in the BIOS of the main PC. Perhaps so for fear of interfering with the router networking. I enabled the LAN and now both PCs access Google as before the issue arose little over a week ago.

As I had not tested the loading of Google this morning, my action may have been unrelated to the resolution of my issue. On the other hand, the issue had persisted on both of my Win32 PCs, on both Windows Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, and on both Firefox 3.1.0 and 3.5.1 (the latter of which included a patch regarding slow loading on some Windows based PCs).

My ISP had written:
Thank you for your email. Normally, Google is a fast site to load. I investigated the issue, and there is a strong possibility that the issue could be attributed to the browser or computer itself.

Your best course of action would be to try an alternate computer to see if you can replicate the issue. If you still have Internet Explorer on your computer, try using that as well. Also, if you're using a router, I'll ask you to bypass this to rule it out.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the update July.

I have not been experiencing this problem lately, so something must have been fixed. I doubt it was your PC itself, if everything else was loading like normal. Plus, I was seeing the same issue, and I run a rather fast PC

I'm positive it was something with Google's Ad or Analytics servers.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:15 PM   #8

Thanks, Billy. Glad to hear that perhaps I wasn't just imagining it all I think the same about the issue but doubt that we'll ever discover the reason. Our dependence on Google is scary. All is well that ends well, though. I'm back at Steve's.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:33 AM   #9

Over the last few months, I've definitely found that the new forum / software is VERY slow on my PC if I use the browser: Mozilla Firefox. However Microsoft Internet Explorer seems to work much better on this new forum. I have the latest versions of both, and never had an issue on the old forum with Firefox.

I use Firebox for most things (as it's more secure, and I prefer it over Microsoft Internet Explorer). So I'm forcing myself to use Internet explorer for Steve's. Even when all the images are loaded in a post / thread, Firefox is still very "clunky" and slow. Same with facebook using Firefox. Hmmm.

Oh yes, I have a good speed connection (ADSL 2+). I work in an Australian government department, where millions of members of the public use our website. I know from that there are also some technical / compatibility issues there with various browsers and our website. So maybe this is just another one of those "IT" problems.

Anyway, just wanting to share this with you. I enjoy Steve's - but as I'm an impatient person (and a very quick internet junkie and typist) - I can't wait around for things to load and update slowly, so I'll use Internet Explorer for Steve's.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:42 AM   #10
Administrator

Paul:

You may have a problem with one of your Firefox plugins, especially if you're seeing an issue on more than one site. So, you may want to try disabling each one under Tools>Addons to try and find any culprits. I'd also try clearing your cache (under Tools>Clear Private Data in the newer versions of Firefox).

I'm using Firefox exclusively for accessing Steve's under both Windows and Linux.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote