Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Recent site changes?

Up until a couple days ago, I was having no problems with the site. Now, it seems that I am unable to use the Dynamic Imaging setting in my accelerator software (Propel ). If I have it set to on, all I get is red 'x" markers for photos in the forums. Wondering if there have been any changes to the site to cause this, or if it is related to IE updates that came in the last couple days. I finally "updated" to IE8 after testing it to be sure it did work with my accelerator, and now am having problems.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator

Brian:

The developers do spend time working on updates and improvements. But, I'm unaware of anything that would be causing your issue. I just booted into Windows and I don't see any issues with IE 8. But, I don't have any kind of accelerator software installed.

Have you tried simple fixes like clearing your browser's cache? With IE 8, you can look under Tools>Internet Options, and you'll see a Delete button on the General Tab under Browsing history that gives you more options.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:11 PM   #3

It had been working, even after the update to IE8. I can work around by using the basic accelerator, but the dynamic imaging part doesn't work with the forums anymore. (it allows faster loading at low quality, then gradually loads images to a better quality as one reads the page) .
Thanks for the reply. It was mostly an academic question anyway.

brian
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:48 AM   #4
Administrator

It looks like we have made some changes related to how the forums handle image attachments, in that if an attachment size exceeds the maximum size allowed, the software will try to resize/recompress those images (versus an error message letting members know that their attachment size is too large). But, in that case, the uploaded attachment is simply compressed more (lower jpeg quality = smaller file size = higher jpeg compression), versus anything unique going on that should impact other software capable of viewing standard jpeg images.

IOW, on the surface, that technique shouldn't present an issue, and I'd expect some kind of compatibility "quirk" with your software and IE 8 instead of any issue related to attachments. Have you tried using it with Firefox (it looks like Propel can work with it, although some proxy related settings may have to be made manually).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:34 PM   #5

I gave Firefox a try, but there are some compatibility problems with the Propel software. It works, but is not fully compatible. There are some quirks when trying to get images to load with full quality via the right-click menu.
I continue to wait for broadband to be available (at a reasonable cost), but I live in a place where cell phones don't work yet, either, so it will be a while.

brian
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:40 AM   #6

I feel for you.... It took me 3 years before they had DSL internet where I live (finally got it earlier this year). We do have cell phone coverage here but not all over the area which makes it hard when you out there and need to interface with other people -- its so touch and go at times).
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote