Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Images in Albums

The maximum image size in an album is 1024x768.

When I upload a 1024x768 image to my album, it displays fine and the EXIF data is available.

When I upload a 768x1024 image to my album, it displays at 614x768 and the EXIF data is missing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Administrator

It's too large for the maximum dimensions allowed for album photos if you make the other side longer than 768 pixels (and that example was at 1024 pixels).

If you exceed the maximum file size allowed (currently set to 260000 bytes) or dimensions (currently set to 1024x768 for album photos, for easier viewing without scrolling on more monitors), the forums software is now trying to downsize the images (and recompressing them at a lower jpeg quality) to try and allow members to upload them anyway (even if they are not within the limits you'll see set when you upload photos). That process may be stripping out the EXIF.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Administrator

In other words, note the "Picture Limits" section of the screen you'll see when you upload photos to albums.

We decided on this size as a compromise to allow easier viewing of album photos on more monitors without scrolling (making the allowed size larger than the software defaults). If you exceed the allowed "Picture Limits", the forums software is going to attempt to resize and recompress your images (hence the "you may receive better results by doing it manually" part). ;-)
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:51 PM   #4

So the vertical resolution is limited to 768 and the horizontal resolution is limited to 1024, and images that are samller than 253.9 KB are scaled to one or the other of those resolutions. Got it. Thanks.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:00 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
...and images that are samller than 253.9 KB are scaled to one or the other of those resolutions.
Actually, I think you'll find that images with sizes larger than 253.9KB are going to be downsized and resampled at a lower JPEG Quality, too (to allowing uploading of images that don't conform to the file size limitations). So, it's not just size dimensions in width x height that will trigger resizing and resampling.

It's best to stay within the limits set for both dimensions and file size for best results.