Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:38 PM   #1

Default No signatures?

Is there a reason why signatures are not enabled on this forum? Or am I doing something wrong? Thx for any comments.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Actually, I sometimes wish they were disabled, since members will often try to use the signature space to plug their own commercial web sites, and we do not allow our forums to be use for Advertising (so keeping out the spam in signature lines can be a chore). ;-)

But, we have that feature turned on (at least for now). To get to your Signature, click on the menu choice labeled User CP (for User Control Panel) and you should see an Edit Signature choice on the left side of the page under Settings and Options. Here's a direct link to the signature edit screen:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...=editsignature
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:01 PM   #3

Jim C - unfortuantely the web is "give and take". When people take the time to add content to your forum(photos, discussion, etc), it's considered good nature to allow for a link back to their own site in a signature. After all, they are providing the site owner with a free, consistent source of content that is beneficial to that site. And I'm not sure how regular users would be lobbed in with spammers simply because they have their own site in their sig. A spammer would be someone who made one or two posts on the forum and never contributed in a positive nature to the forum. Just something to think about.

Thx for your help though and the link.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:31 PM   #4
Administrator

A lot of new members join for the sole purpose of making money from their posts in one way or another so they'll get more page hits (including links to sites with products for sale with referral IDs, ad banners they're making money from clicks on, etc.), and we frown upon the use of the forums for commercial purposes.

Now, if you are just trying to post a link to a site hosting your photos, that's fine, as long as it doesn't appear that you're posting the link for personal gain (i.e., you just want to share your photos with others).

We don't have a lot of hard and fast rules. But, one thing that we ask members not to do is promote web sites they're associated with if that site is setup to sell products or services. We don't think that's too much to ask.

That doesn't mean the web site isn't great. I sometimes point members to other sites myself. But, when I see a member doing that for personal gain (starting to append a URL to another site in all of their posts for a web site that they're associated with, and it looks like they're trying to advertise it using our forums), I'll probably send them a friendly note about it (and I don't read all of the posts so I'm sure I miss some of that kind of thing).

If we did allow those types of posts (members pushing their own web sites, selling gear and more) while trying to decide what to allow and deny, we'd have forum members complaining about other members posts ("how come they're allowed to plug their site and we can't plug ours").

It's just too hard to police, since we attract spammers like a magnet here pretty often (rarely does a day go by that I'm not deleting multiple spam posts).

So, rather than make a judgment call about every poster's site, I often ask posters not to plug web sites they're associated with in our forums. That way, we're not put in a position of trying to decide what's spam and what's not, and that lets us be fairer to more members.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote