Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:16 AM   #1

Default POD Dimensions Question

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, as it has to do with the Picture Of the Day. I submitted a couple of shots before the software was changed and you just emailed a file, with the file being a small one, but there was nothing that required a specific ratio of height to length. However, I just tried to submit one and the software required me to crop it. Since there were two elements to the picture at the top and bottom of the shot (vertical shot) and can't be cropped in the way the software wants me to. I would happy to resize it smaller, but cropping it won't work. Is there any way around that?

Thanks for any suggestions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:29 AM   #2
Administrator

The crop box you see when you submit a photo is only designed to let you decide how it will show up in the upper right hand corner the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com if it's selected for Photo of the Day (since the space allocated for it on the main page doesn't allow for much flexibility as far aspect ratios).

If it's selected and someone clicks on the cropped version on the main page (using the crop you select when you submit the image), it takes you to Steve's POTD page showing an uncropped version with the original aspect ratio.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:43 AM   #3
Administrator

IOW, if you prefer a different aspect ratio, don't worry about it. The site will resize it to fit the POTD page using the original aspect ratio. Just use a crop that shows most of the interesting parts of the image, and that's what you'll see on the main page if it's selected (without impacting how it will appear on the POTD page).

The crop box is only how it appears on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com if it's selected for POTD (since the space on the main page allocated for the winning image each day is relatively small, and photos are submitted using a wide variety of aspect ratios).

About the only other way to handle it would be to use variable border sizes around an image to prevent the need to select a crop, which would make some images look pretty small, depending on their aspect ratio (so, the existing solution is a compromise designed to allow more flexibility in aspect ratios that are allowed, while still allowing the winner to show up on the main page each day in the smaller space we have allocated for that purpose). It's not an ideal solution, but it allows the winning photo to show up on the main page each day (using the crop you select when you submit the photo).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'll just leave it alone then. I thought about doing bars on the side to get it to fit the dimensions, but decided against it. I'll just leave it alone. I assume that since I didn't click on "save" the picture wasn't submitted. The picture doesn't make sense without both the top and bottom, so the initial preview wouldn't make much sense.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:24 AM   #5
Administrator

Again, it only affects what's on the main page for one day if it's selected (shows the crop you picked). Other pages with the image (POTD page, forum posts in the POTD Forum here with winners, etc.) show the uncropped version. Yes, I realize that's not an ideal solution. But, that lets the winning image show up the main page at Steve's in the limited amount of space available there for it (which is just a smaller version of the image cropped to fit in that space, acting as a link to the POTD page).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:05 PM   #6

I can certainly understand why they do it, it just means that I'll have to submit a picture that makes sense if it's cropped. Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind when I take something else that might be worth submitting. The quality of pictures they choose are always outstanding!