Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:20 AM   #1

Default Photo Contest eligibilty

Having previously entered photos in the Photo of the month competition I only took time out to read the rules today because i live in the UK does this mean that even if i enter a photo that i cannot win because the rules state only open to residents of the 50 states of the USA and Columbia
Any advice would be helpful
Many Thanks
Gezza
Gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Hey Gezza:

Submissions to Steve's POTD from outside of US jurisdictions can be considered for round 1 of the contest (publication on Steves POTD and home pages), but not round 2 of the contest (to win prizes, due to legal and cost reasons).

Please keep in mind that regulations for different countries may require that products conform to certain safety and power requirements, as well as account for regional differences in cables and documentation included, warranty service and more. So we are unable to award prizes to entrants outside of the U.S. where we are located.

Restrictions aside, we welcome participation from readers located from outside of the U.S., as you can see from the photos published in our Photo of the Day Contest Forum.

We look forward to seeing some of your photos submitted to Steve's POTD.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:56 AM   #3

Default Photo contests

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply but would it not be fair to stipulate this when entering a photo say if you are situated outside the USA then it is impossible to win a prize.
I have a lot of friends who have previously entered thinking they might win without a chance.
Because not everyone reads the rules.
I think this would be fair and people would then have an idea that although they could have a photo selected as photo of the day they have no realistic chance of ever winning a prize and i am sure that,s what most people enter the competition for in the hope of some slim chance they just might win
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:06 AM   #4
Administrator

We'll certainly consider that (even though the rules are available by clicking on the "RULES" menu choice on the left of the submission page, perhaps a way to make them even more obvious would be a good idea).

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:12 AM   #5

Default Photo contests

Hi Jim
Another idea would be to add some text to the prizes on offer page at the top of the page you could put or something similar.
Everyone is welcome to enter photos for the photo of the month competition but if you live outside the USA or Columbia you would not be eligible to win one of the prizes on "Offer".
And as a website owner this would take all of 5 mins to enter the text i think people from outside the US would know where they stand..
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:20 AM   #6
Administrator

Hey Gezza.

I'll pass on your suggestions to the staff members involved in the POTD.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:12 PM   #7

this really has nothing to do with me... but... couldnt a person who lived in the UK win the photo of the month prize, but possible wants to to be shipped to someone who lives in the states as maybe a gift, or to a person who lives in the states who would then ship it to someone in the UK.

So, i guess what i'm saying is that I believe a person outside the states should be able to win the prize, but the stipulation should be that they prize cannot be shipped directly outside the states.

Let the winner (wherever he/she lives) decide where they want the prize to be sent within the states..

just a thought i had...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:59 AM   #8
Administrator

Thanks for the thoughts Eric.