Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Screengrab 5D Mark-II menu settings

Hi everybody,
What technique has been used to make screenshots from the 5D MArk-II menu settings ?
I wish to screengrab every menu setting (including Custom Function settings) in order to create my own "cheat sheet".

Thanks for your help.
pspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:23 PM   #2
Administrator

You may find it's review here to be helpful. Here's the first page showing settings available:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-6.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:28 PM   #3

That is exactly the page I visited. I wish to do these screenshots, but with my own settings.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

use a tripod and just take a picture of the screen filling the frame as much as you can, and then crop it out. then place the crops within your document.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:43 PM   #5

There must be a software out there (kind of EOS Utility Enhanced) to enable the "transfer" to the computer.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:41 PM   #6

This is what I used, and it comes with Ulead capture software. You can use any video capture device really.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3ORDER-_-Deals

Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7

billy,
Thanks for the hint.
Just to check that I understood the procedure :
1. Connect the Stereo Video Cable (included with 5D Mark-II) to the camera's A/V out terminal.
2. Connect the yellow end (Composite Video cable) to the CVBS / Composite In of the video capture device
3. Connect the video capture device to the computer via USB
4. Use the software coming with the device to capture the menus from the 5D Mark-II.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.6 : should I go for the device you suggested (got some negative critics) or should I buy a product like the Elgato Video Capture for Mac (not cheap).

Thanks for the advice(s).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:35 AM   #8

Correct, however you don't need to hook up any audio. Use use the yellow video end of cable from the 5DMkII > to the device > to the computer via USB. Unless you want to do more with that Ulead software, which is setup for capturing video, etc.

I'm not sure if the included software works with OSX or not, so you'll have to look into that.

Any capture device that can grab still frames from a live video feed should work. However, I don't think it's worth breaking the bank over.

As for the negative reviews on TD for the unit I listed, I saw those as well. However, I've had mine for over a year, and it gets used a LOT. It's a very simple and cheap device, but if you are careful with it, it should last. If you are worried, you could always buy a couple. This way, if one breaks, you have a backup. This should still be cheaper than ordering an expensive unit.

Let us know what you end up getting, and good luck
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:51 PM   #9

Hi everybody. Back again...

I bought the device iGrabber for MAC from Geniatech. Unfortunately, as soon as I connect the device to the camera, the LCD panel on the back of the camera turns dark. On the MAC, the iGrabber window doesn't respond.
The person from the Geniatech support told me to check if signal format in software is matched with the video source.
I set Video system to NTSC in camera. Compression type settings for the device were set to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC : no result (using PAL on both sides didn't make it either).

What am I doing wrong ?
Patrick.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:15 PM   #10

Patrick,

I'm not sure, as I've never used the iGrabber. The LCD going blank on the camera is normal. It switches the output to the AV cable when it senses the cable is plugged in, which saves battery life by not having the LCD on at the same time you are using the AV output capabilities of the camera.

On the device I recommended, if you do not have the proper input device selected in the software, it too will end up in the same situation you are describing. So, I'd make sure the software you are using is recognizing your iGrabber device.

Also, sometimes the software will not show the live feed until you start to capture video or still frames from the source. On the Ulead application I use, I have to enter Capture mode for the live image to display.

Good luck, and keep us updated.