Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old May 20, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Default Photo uploads reduced quality

Hello,
I noticed after uploading a couple of photos that the quality of the photos are greatly reduced, both in sharpness and colour accuracy. Does anyone know the reason for this?
dglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes.

That means you exceeded the maximum allowed size for either dimensions or file size when attaching images.

When you do that, the forums software will automatically downsize your images and recompress them using relatively high JPEG compression (which will make them look softer), and it will also strip out all EXIF info.

See my comments in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

So, you'll want to make sure that whatever software you're using to downsize them is keeping them within the dimensions limits (resolution in pixels for width and height), as well as file size limits. They'll need to be no larger than 260,000 bytes (approx. 253.9KB) if you don't want the forums software recompressing them, and no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side for dimensions for forum posts (and no larger than 1024x768 for album images).

Usually, a quality setting of around 80% or 8 (depending the scale your software uses for JPEG quality/compression) will keep an image with a resolution of 1024x768 or smaller within file size limits.

In other words, make sure you set your dimensions in pixels, as well as JPEG compression/quality level in the software you're using to downsize them, so that they're within size limits set for uploads to prevent the forums software from recompressing them (and you'll see those limits when you upload images here, as shown in the post I linked to about it).

If they're within the maximum limits set, then the forums software will not modify them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 1:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
dglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4

Steve, how do I enter a photo into the Photo of the Day contest? Also do these entries have to conform to the site image limitations?
Thanks
BillboTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillboTex View Post
Steve, how do I enter a photo into the Photo of the Day contest? Also do these entries have to conform to the site image limitations?
Thanks
Click Here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/photo...ay/upload.html

Then follow the steps. The site image limitations Jim was talking about are for the forums, not our Photo of the Day contest.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote