Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Classifieds

This is a great forum, i've learned alot for the people on here and continue too......With my desire to upgrade , try new stuff ,expand my equipment my first thought was to see if anyone had anything to sell on here. I am a member of many forums (various other hobbies) and they all have classified sections .Has this ever been done here? Is it possible to do it? just wondering.
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Administrator

We've discussed it in the past. But, at the present time, we do not allow buy/sell/trade posts here, period.

From a moderation perspective, it's just too hard to police (scammers would be posting trying to buy and sell gear, companies pretending to be individuals would be posting, hard feelings would occur between members if deals went sour, etc.).

It would be an open invitation to spammers (and scammers that only want to take the money or goods and never deliver anything in return) to use our forums to promote their companies, products and services, requiring mods to make judgment calls about every post, and whether or not they're within whatever guidelines we have set.

Even if we up disclaimers that we're not responsible for transactions between members, you're still going to have members complaining when deals go bad, starting fights in the forums with personal attacks when the items are not as expected and/or members get ripped off by scammers (or when misunderstandings occur between respected members).

Also, even if you have rules stating that only one forum is to be used for that purpose, you can bet that anyone trying to sell something is still going to try and plug their listings in other posts.

We have enough trouble with Spammers (and Scammers) here already (it's common for me to delete dozens of Spam or Scam posts in a day), and we don't want to turn the forums into a big flea market. So, no buy/sell/trade posts are allowed here. We do not allow business to be conducted between members in our forums. That way, we don't have to make a judgment call about every post, and if it should be considered to be Spam (or a Scam in many cases), since we do not allow those types of posts here.

You may want to try craigslist.com or ebay.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3

no problem ! i was just curious , On a snowmobile forum i use it has a good classified but also doesn't attract spammers and scammers and almost all members are very active so people have a good idea of the characters involved .I had no idea you have to delete that many threads per day
jmp2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Administrator

Spammers and Scammers are a huge problem here, probably because we've been around for a while, and because of the popularity of technology related sites that have forums they can post in. It's a never ending war with those guys.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote