Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Default photo contest rules

I was looking at the daily photo contest rules and I was wondering something. My question is if I enter the contest, and win ( we are saying this as an example of course), I get notified that I have won and accept what ever the prize may be, do I have any personal rights on the photograph after accepting the prize or do I lose any and all rights including copyright of the material? What rights do I retain as the creator of the work?

Quote:
8. Publicity: As a condition of entry into the Contest, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and each winner by accepting a prize grants to Sponsor (and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns and licensees), all right, title and interest in to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Contest entrant's name, city, state, and biographical material (collectively, "Licensed Rights") in any media for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of the winner. The winner may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability and Publicity Release within 5 business days of attempted notification or the winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner selected.
Quote:
Maybe I should ask this, Does granting licensed rights to the sponser take away my rights to do the same as the sponser (as far as my ability to make money or publicise or something like that)?
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2

I'm no "legal eagle", however from what I gather you still have ownership of the image, and can use it for whatever purpose(s) you choose.

By granting Steve's these "Licensed Rights", you're allowing us to publish your work/photo on our site or any other that we are affiliated with (e.g. our FaceBook page), along with the personal information you provided when submitting the photo; such as your name, email, country, etc. (which we use on our site, like the Winners page).

I hope this answers your questions, if not I can get further clarification from our legal team if need be.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:23 PM   #3

Hello Billy.

I was concerned that if I did post, that in by doing so and granting specific rights to the sponsor that I would be giving up my own personal rights to use the photo after I had done so. I do not wish to cause you any stress about it , but if you could check for sure for me it would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue granting rights to the sponser but I just want to make sure I am not giving up mine by doing so, as it is not stated as such in the rules. Thanks a lot for your time and effort. Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Oct 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM. Reason: (as usual spelling)
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:19 PM   #4

Frank,

As I suspected, you are not giving up any of your publication and/or owner/creator rights when submitting photos to our contest.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to your entries!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:08 AM   #5

Thanks for taking the time and checking Billy, it is really a relief to know for sure!
It will be, however quite a while before I feel like I have a suitable entry for this type of contest, but as I learn the trade I may accidently take one that I may feel tempted to submit.
Just a kudo in passing, I am seriously impressed with the amount of knowledge contained in this site, also with the patient helpfulness of those who have been here for a while. I am immersed in your knowledge center and as a fledgling first timer to the art of photography, it is a bit overwhelming all the things one needs to know just to be an average photographer. I probably will not learn as much as I need to before I get my KM 7D back from the repair shop, but at least I have solid information to start out with. Thank you for your help and support. One day I will have a photo to send in......FRANK