Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Photo contest

Hello guys and or Gals: Just wondering why my daily photo posts dont show up. Am I doing something wrong??
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:41 PM   #2

I did post 2 photos one after the other thinking I had done something wrong on the first when it didnt appear.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:49 PM   #3
Administrator

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Are you talking about photos in a forum thread here? If so, can you give me a link to the thread that you couldn't see your photos in?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:57 PM   #4

Im sorry I wasnt clear. What I was refering to was the daily photo contest
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:12 PM   #5
Administrator

If you're referring to the Photo of the Day contest here, only the winner for each day is shown (and you can use the ENTER choice on the left side of the POTD page to upload an image to the contest for consideration):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photo-of-the-day/

If you're referring to the Photo of the Day Contest Forum, it's setup to show the daily POTD winners from Steve's POTD Contest with one thread per day. You can add new posts to an existing thread if you want to comment on a winning entry. But, you will be unable to start any new threads in that forum (it's setup only to show the winning POTD entries - with a new thread for each daily winner).

If you look at the main forums page at http://forums.steves-digicams.com , you'll see this note under that forum choice:

"This link is provided to our daily selection for the Photo of the Day contest. Each month we award prizes. Note that you can reply to threads in this forum, but you cannot start new threads, so that the POTD winners will remain sorted by Date."

If you want to submit photos to be considered for the POTD contest, please visit this page and use the ENTER choice on the left side of the page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photo-of-the-day/
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6

I am a little confused about the photo of the day contest. The entry form says one photo per email. Is that per month or per day? Just wasn't sure since the photo is POD and the contest has a monthly winner. Thanks
KiminWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminWNC View Post
I am a little confused about the photo of the day contest. The entry form says one photo per email. Is that per month or per day? Just wasn't sure since the photo is POD and the contest has a monthly winner. Thanks
In the past we asked that you only submit one photo per month. However, you may enter more if you would like, but sending in more than one photo in a month's time does not increase your chances of winning.

When you use the newer submission form, you can only upload one photo at a time. However, you can do this multiple times.

I personally suggest you pick the best photo or two of the bunch and submit them, rather then submitting a large series in one month.

Thanks for the question, and Good Luck!

-billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:59 AM   #8

It's so frustrating...

I uploaded a photo and when I was asked to crop it, I couldn't manage to extend the box on the entire picture so as to avoiding cutting anything from the shot !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:18 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
I uploaded a photo and when I was asked to crop it, I couldn't manage to extend the box on the entire picture so as to avoiding cutting anything from the shot !
The crop box you see when you submit a photo is only designed to let you decide how it will show up in the upper right hand corner the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com if it's selected for Photo of the Day (since the space allocated for it on the main page doesn't allow for much flexibility as far as aspect ratios (the ratio of width to height).

If it's selected and someone clicks on the cropped version on the main page (using the crop you select when you submit the image), it takes you to Steve's POTD page showing an uncropped version of the image you uploaded, using the original aspect ratio.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. The site will resize it to fit the POTD page using the original aspect ratio (where users will see an uncropped version if it's selected when they click on the small cropped version from the main page).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If it's selected and someone clicks on the cropped version on the main page (using the crop you select when you submit the image), it takes you to Steve's POTD page showing an uncropped version of the image you uploaded, using the original aspect ratio.
OMG JimC, thank you so much for clearing that up, I freaked out for nothing !

Can I ask who's the jury that votes for the potd ?
It'd be really nice if the forum users could vote as well...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD

Last edited by Marawder; Apr 9, 2011 at 7:05 AM.
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote