Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Photo Critique subforum: allow/encourage posting original image

Including the original image in the Photo Critique subforum would allow readers to appreciate the photographer's skill at PP and/or getting it right at the time of exposure. It would also permit those still climbing the PP learning curve to learn from the before and after shots.

Haven't seen this on other photo critique forums. I wonder why. Possible downsides to doing this are: 1) Providing bait to those who want to argue about what sort or amount of PP is [fill in the blank] , and 2) Readers pestering OPs for step by step instructions on how an effect is achieved.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:14 PM   #2

G'day mate

With over 50 views & no answers, I'll buy into the discussion

I can see 2 sides to your very useful Question

One could be for people to ask specifically for details as to how something was done...
Another may be for those who feel able to do so, to offer a short tutorial incl screen dumps of drop-down menus, to guide others thru the process

If it were to go ahead, maybe the subject line could include a title showing the level of user it is aimed at ... beginner - experienced - advanced

any thoughts?
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I am going to disagree with this, as in artistic photography the end vision incorporates all steps from shooting through the PP. This vision may not include the original image as an end product to showcase.

You may ask the original poster what techniques he/she employed to get to the outcome, but I am not going to encourage posting originals if the poster does not wish so.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:32 PM   #4
Administrator

I dunno... Then, you'd have to look at more than one thread to see both versions (and the member would have to create more than one thread when posting the images).

It seems to me that just including a link to the original in the post would be easier for the member creating the thread, and for members viewing the thread see the original (if the poster wants them to see it, and that may not always be the case).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
... but I am not going to encourage posting originals if the poster does not wish so.
Maybe I should have used the title "allow or encourage". Current guidelines allow one photo in a critique subforum post. Changing the guidelines to allow a second if it was the original image would, as I put in the OP, " allow readers to appreciate the photographer's skill at PP and/or getting it right at the time of exposure. It would also permit those still climbing the PP learning curve to learn from the before and after shots.:
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I dunno... Then, you'd have to look at more than one thread to see both versions (and the member would have to create more than one thread when posting the images).
Not sure to whom you were responding. I see no reason for not posting the original image in the same thread as the photo offered for critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It seems to me that just including a link to the original in the post would be easier for the member creating the thread, and for members viewing the thread see the original (if the poster wants them to see it, and that may not always be the case).
That works.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:06 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I think its ok within the same thread if the original poster wishes to share the original. but i would want to leave it up to their choice in the matter.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:36 PM   #8

I'm not sure I'm willing to reveal to world how poorly I exposed or composed a photo then how much work it took to make it usable. Some secrets are best left unsaid.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote