Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:44 PM   #1

Default Cannot Upload Profile Pic

I wanted to change my profile pic so I uploaded a jpg image 90x100 pixels and I keep getting a failed to upload window. What am I doing wrong? The size falls within the requirements.

Thanks
James
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:40 PM   #2
Administrator

What is it's file size?

From what I can see of the current settings, the max dimensions allowed for a Profile Photo is set to 100x100 pixels (so you're within that setting), but the maximum allowed file size is 64KB.

You'll see those limits if you go to your User Control Panel (User CP choice at the top of each page) and select the "Edit Profile Picture" choice. This is what you'll see on that page:

Quote:
"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller)"
So, if the file size of your photo exceeds 64KB (unlikely given an image with dimensions that small if it's jpeg), it will probably fail to upload, even if the dimensions in pixels are within limits.

I'd check the file size and if it's larger than allowed, go to the editor you used to save the image and use a different JPEG quality setting (most editors will have a JPEG quality slider you can use when using their File>Save As menu choice), until the file size is within the allowed limits.

Just to make sure, you are talking about your "Profile" photo, not your Avatar (something different), right?

If it's within the allowed limits, see if you can attach it to a reply in this post and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem. It's just a standard jpeg file, right?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:21 PM   #3

It's only 32KB.

Name:  IMG_0397.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  33.0 KB
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:48 PM   #4
Administrator

Hey James...

I don't see any issues with that photo when testing with it.

Just to make sure again, you are using the menu choice to change your Profile Photo (not your Avatar photo, which is something different and has smaller file sizes allowed), right?

IOW, is this the screen you're using to upload that image?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...editprofilepic
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:43 AM   #5

That's the screen I'm using and it shows the new profile picture on that screen but when I click save changes I get "cannot upload file" or "upload failed". Thank you.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:01 AM   #6
Administrator

James:

Yes, it looks like the new profile photo is being used. Just for giggles, I uploaded it again using the same photo you attached to your previous post in this thread, and that also works, where your profile photo is now that one:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...mes-emory.html

Now, the forums software did resize it. That photo (if you're using the same one attached to your previous post) is 100x150 pixels, which is larger than we allow for a profile photo you want to upload (max is 100x100 pixels and the longest side for that one was too large at 150 pixels). So, perhaps that's why you saw an error. But, the photo was still resized and added to your profile