Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:59 AM   #1

Default Probation period for new users?

OK... I am totally sick of seeing every post I make "Waiting for Moderator to approve"

Most forums it is 5 posts.. I am well past 5 posts.. I am not a spammer or check my IP Address using http://www.stopforumspam.com/ or check my user name via Google (although that may or maynot be a good thing) or check http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/index.php where I am a moderator & Security Advisor during peak periods (holidays).

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator

We don't have a probation period where x number of posts need approval. Instead, we have a system in place where x number of new posts from members are being screened by a Spam Filter system (and in most cases, new posts will show up immediately without any moderator intervention, unless they're from spammers or have characteristics that are similar to previous posts we've marked as spam).

But, for whatever reason, our Spam Filter has been flagging most of your posts as needing moderator approval. Yea... the first thing I did when I noticed it was check sites like stopforumspam and didn't see why it would have flagged them so that we'd need to approve them. It's a "learning" engine (based on posts we approve or deny) that looks at ip address, e-mail address, member name and post content to determine if a post needs screening by a moderator or not, and I couldn't any reason why it would be flagging them.

Most of the time, it gets it right. But, when it gets it wrong, it can be an irritant to both new members and our staff. So, my apologies for the inconvenience (needing to wait until we approved your posts before they were visible in the forums)

In any event, you've reached the post number required now so that your posts should not be screened by it going forward (so you should not have any more issues with posts requiring moderator approval here).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Thank you Jim

FujiHS20 (used all the time)
Nikon Coolpix L24 (used all the time)
Nikon D60 DSLR (rarely used anymore)
Olympus 8000 (never used anymore, as I lost my data cable).
Pantharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:14 PM   #4

That's strange, I see it's doing the same thing with me. I've been running the Camera Collector Forum for over 8 years, and I've never had to resort to this kind of thing.
cameracollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:53 PM   #5
Administrator

I don't like it either.

I setup the Spam Filter we use here originally, going with what was known as the TypePad AntiSpam beta, which eventually went from beta to production status. Here's a review of it from 2008:

http://techcrunch.com/2008/05/29/typ...-spam-fighter/

Because it uses the same API calls as Akismet (passing info like e-mail address, member name, IP address and post content to the learning "engine"), it was feasible for me to integrate it with our existing vBulletin software setup, specifying the number of posts being screened for new members, how many days of history it should keep to help it determine what should be flagged for moderator approval, etc.

The vast majority of the time, it's been very reliable (very few false positives that required moderator intervention of content from legit posters).

So, that has helped us tremendously to keep visible spam out of the forums until we could review the flagged posts, ban the spammers and report them to anti-spam services (via a "check box" at the same time we remove the posts and ban the poster). We get a *lot* of spam here.

Unfortunately, lately, I'm seeing a higher number of mistakes being made (flagging more posts for approval than I've seen in the past). The service I setup was recently transitioned to another company.

So, hopefully, the issues we're seeing are just part of the problems associated with that transition. If not (if this trend continues), we'll look at making a change to prevent the inconvenience to new members.

In the interim, I did make some changes (for example, tripling the amount of history being stored locally for posts we approve or deny) to see if that helps out, and I'll keep a close eye on it until we can determine the root cause (coincidence, transition to new company providing the anti-spam engine, etc.); as it could be something as simple as it not using history we've previously built up because of the transition to a new company.

In any event, my apologies for the delays in your posts showing up while we work through this transition period.

We don't like to see this type of issue either. ;-)
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:09 PM   #6
Administrator

cameracollector

Randy, I see that it happened again since I made my last post (another of your posts requiring approval before it was visible in the forums).

So, in the interim (until we can get to the bottom of the problems), I artificially increased your post count so that your posts should no longer be screened. I'll correct the post number to reflect the actual post count later.

So, you should not see any more of your posts delayed here.

Again, my apologies for the issues.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7

Thank You JIm.
cameracollector is offline   Reply With Quote