Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:44 AM   #11
Administrator

Bynx:

I'm not seeing any issues. Do you have cookies enabled? If not, see if that fixes it (allow cookies for this site).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:27 PM   #12

As I opened up this page the Tamron PopUp happened again. After closing the window I browsed a few forums. The ad didnt pop up again. I left the site, returned and opened this page again and the pop up didnt return.

Last edited by Bynx; Jan 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:56 PM   #13
Administrator

You should only see it one time with a given browser (as long as cookies for this site are enabled in that browser, since cookies keep track of that kind of thing).

Then, you should never see it again, after the problem was corrected a few days ago by around 5:00PM EST (2:00PM PST) on January 13th.

I've tested it in multiple browsers since then, and have not see any more Tamron Adverts (and it sounds like that's the same thing you're seeing now, if the problem is no longer occurring).

So, hopefully the issue is solved for you (and all other members) now.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:02 PM   #14

Tamron ad just popped up again. So is the problem with the site or my browser?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:21 PM   #15
Administrator

Same question...

Do you have cookies enabled? If not, see if that fixes it (allow cookies for this site).

I have not seen a single popup since the problem was solved on January 13th, using multiple browsers inside of more than one Operating System.

I just tested page loads from a browser with cookies disabled, and I still don't see any adverts.

You may want to try clearing your browser's cache to see if something it's caching (versus reading all web page content directly from our servers) could be the culprit.

Here's a site I found with a quick google search with instructions for multiple browsers:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:29 AM   #16

When I made my last post there was a difference in that the popup only occurred once instead of every time I changed pages. When I logged on just now no popup. But I took your advice and cleared the cache. Still no popup. Thanks Jim.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Administrator

If it happens again, you may want to try deleting cookies associated with Steve's (search for cookie entries with steve in them and delete those cookies), as sometimes a corrupt cookie can cause those types of issues, too

I use Firefox the vast majority of the time, and you can delete specific cookies (without deleting all of them), which can come in handy with specific site issues.

I'm not as familiar with deleting specific site cookies in other browsers, but I found this site about deleting cookies with a quick google search (and there are probably many more like it if you search for something like delete specific cookies) when using a search engine like google, bing, or similar.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cookies

I do not like to delete all cookies, as they serve a purpose (keeping track of login info, pages you're already visited, etc.; to make your sessions more efficient). But, if I have a problem with a specific web site, I delete the cookie for that site, and it will often solve strange issues.

Again, I have not seen the Tamron Advert since January 13th, and I use multiple browsers (like Chrome, Opera, Firefox and others) under both Linux and Windows.

So, it appears to be a solved issue (other than the problems you're still seeing from time to time), unless there is something odd with your specific configuration (like pages in a cache somewhere that's reloading old data from the browser cache or from a cache built into your service provider's servers; or a corrupted cookie, or similar).

Let us know if you continue to see the issue or not (as again, I have not been able to reproduce the problem since the changes we made on January 13th; even when using multiple browsers under multiple operating systems).

The only other thought that comes to mind is that my IP Address from my internet service provider is fairly "static" (even though technically, it can change with a router reboot, since it's using DHCP). . IOW, my router's external IP address rarely changes. So, if your IP address changes often, perhaps that's causing the problem.

But, I'd rule out other causes first as I do not think anything related to the issue is looking at a user's IP address (IOW, to see if the same IP address has seen the advert before; although that might be worth looking into if the problem is not solved by clearing your browser's cache and deleting any cookies associated with this site).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Administrator

BTW, I just did a quick check, and all of your posts in this thread have used the same IP Address. So, it's unlikely that a changing IP address has anything to do with it (at least from what I can tell "on the surface", unless you were using a different internet service provider than the one you were using with your posts in this thread when you saw the advert again).

So, I'd lean towards an internet browser cache or cookie issue as being the culprit if you see the advert again.

Please keep me posted if the problem occurs again, as we want to make sure the issue is solved (as I have not been able to reproduce the problem since the fixes we made on January 13th, even when trying multiple browsers using multiple operating systems).

Hopefully, clearing your browser cache solved it for you, as sometimes, a browser's cache can cause issues (loading some previously viewed content from files on your PC used for cache purposes to speed up load times, versus loading all content directly from the web page on the server you're visiting over your network connection).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:06 PM   #19

This is weird. Last couple times Ive been here no problems with the Tamron popup. But its back when I logged on now. Im using Firefox and did as suggested regarding the cache and the popup still occurred.

Ok, 6 hours later I log on and open a couple windows and no popup. I didnt change any settings. Weird.

Last edited by Bynx; Jan 21, 2015 at 5:20 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:55 AM   #20

I'm not seeing it in Opera or Chrome, just FF.
photobro is offline   Reply With Quote