Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:26 AM   #21
Administrator

I have not been able to reproduce the issue. I've even tried a fresh load of an Operating System inside of a virtual machine, and installed Firefox from scratch with no extensions; and visited steve's for the first time using a browser, and still do not see any popups.

In my primary browser config (Firefox), I've got adblock disabled for Steve's and have seen no Tamron Advert since the problem was corrected on January 13th (even though I browse the forums here frequently during the day to get rid of spam, etc.).

So, your symptoms make no sense to me, unless something else is caching old page content (and sometimes an ISP has their own cache server for that purpose to reduce network bandwidth usage so that reads over the network to a distant web server are not required for some page content).

Did you try deleting cookies associated with Steve's, as mentioned in an earlier post I made to this thread:

If you go into your Firefox Options, then go to the Privacy Tab, you'll find a link to delete individual cookies. If you go to that link and search for steves, you'll see all cookies associated with both the main site and the forums, where you can check the boxes beside them and remove them.

Make sure you know all of your login info if you delete them, and you may also find your theme has changed, so you may need to change it from light to dark (or vice-versa) when you login again.

But, again, even if I use a fresh installation of firefox inside of a fresh installation of an operating system (where there would be no prior cookies set for steves, with no internet cache stored), I don't see the advert (and I have not seen it since Feburary 13th).

It's very odd that you're still seeing it from time to time, unless your ISP has a cache server setup of some type (which is a common practice anymore so that some page content is loaded from their servers, versus directly from the web site's servers you're visiting).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:29 PM   #22

Ive logged in a few times now and browsed a few pages and no pop up. I havent done anything since the last time I saw the pop up. It seems someone else besides me saw it too though with Firefox. Its not bothersome as it was, popping up every time you changed pages. Hopefully, all is back to normal now.

Nuts, just had a window popup.

Last edited by Bynx; Jan 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:05 AM   #23
Administrator

Bynx:

I have been unable to duplicate the problem, even if I install a new Operating System from scratch in a virtual machine that's totally isolated from my physical Operating Systems and storage space, installing browsers from scratch, with no previous cookies, cache, history, etc.

Again, I've seen no Tamron advert since January 13th, testing with multiple operating systems and browsers, with and without any existing cache or cookies.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever clicked on that popup advert (so that you see the page on Tamron's web site, versus just the popup advert)?

If not, try that if you see it again (actually click on the advert so that you visit the page it directs you to on Tamron's web site, versus simply closing it).

That way, if anything on Tamron's advert server is looking to see if your IP address has ever seen that page, that should stop it.

That's only speculation. But, your IP address has been static in all of your posts to this thread (not changing since you noticed the issue), so perhaps it's tracking if a given IP has seen the page at Tamron yet or not (since I have been unable to duplicate the issue, no matter what I've tried).

But, my IP address is relatively static (very rarely changing), as your IP address has been (all of your posts in this thread have been from the same IP Address) , and I have clicked on the advert and viewed the page on Tamron's site before (on January 13th -- the last time I saw that popup).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:32 AM   #24

The weird thing Jim, is this isnt consistent. Initially the popup occurred with every page change. The last couple times it has only occurred once while on the site. I dont think I clicked on the page because Im not interested in Tamron lenses. Im not going to be a bug any more unless things get worse. While a popup once in a while is no big deal, its not worth any fuss over either. The site is running well.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:00 PM   #25

I noticed for the second time that upon opening a forum I havent visited since before the popup from Tamron started that it pops up. Just now I opened digitized images and it happened. A few days ago it happened when I visited another forum. As long as I log on and visit familiar windows nothing happens. Weird eh? I took a screenshot of the popup just now.
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:23 AM   #26
Administrator

Hey Bynx:

Thanks for more detail. I just tried viewing a few forums that I have not visited for a while, and I'm still unable to reproduce the issue (again, I have not seen that Tamron advert since January 13th, when the developers made changes to when it's being displayed).

Have you tried clicking on the advert yet and visiting the Tamron Web site it links to?

Again, as mentioned in my previous post, I'd give that a try. IOW, if something in the code on Tamron's advert platform is looking to see if you've already visited their site, that may be a difference between my setup and your setup (as I've not been able to reproduce the issue using multiple browsers under multiple Operating Systems, with or without cookies, browser history, etc

IOW, even with a brand new OS install in a virtual machine, with a brand new installation of browsers (with no previous history, cookies, etc.), I have been unable to reproduce your issue.

So, as mentioned in my last post, you might want to try clicking on the advert (versus just closing it) and see if that solves the intermittent issue you're having with the Tamron advert appearing; since the only main difference that's apparent to me is that I've clicked on the advert (and it sounds like you have not done that so far).

IOW, if the occasional advert bothers you, I'd see if actually viewing the web page it links to solves the issue for you in case something in the code for that advert may be tracking if you've clicked on it or not (as I have been unable to reproduce the issue and have not seen that Tamron advert since January 13th

But, as mentioned in my last post, I have clicked on the advert before to visit the page it links to (last time was January 13th, and I have not seen that Tamron advert since then, even though I've got adblock plus disabled on the forums here now).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:43 AM   #27

Jim, its not that the popup bothers me. It did initially with every page visited. Now its down to just when I enter a forum for the first time since the popup started. Ive only seen it twice. I was more concerned for the site since its an invasion. Its a popup this time. No telling what it could be next time. But I will do as you say and click the ad next time I see it. As you know for a long time now, I can be outspoken and not afraid to say whats on my mind unlike a lot of people who visit this site. Im sure this small glitch isnt unique to me and wonder why others dont voice in on this. So far only one other besides myself has even mentioned it since the 'fix'.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM   #28

I have notified and complained to Tamron on facebook about their ad which is still popping up randomly. The last time it was when I logged onto the site. Again when I changed pages. They said any ads are placed there by you. I told them thats not so.

After some exchange with Tamron on facebook they left me with this.....

Hi Paul, if they would like a contact please tell them they can email lcraft@tamron.com regarding this

Last edited by Bynx; Mar 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:58 PM   #29

I just logged onto the site and this is the first thing I see.
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:12 AM   #30
Administrator

For goodness sakes Bynx. Is it that big of a problem if you see it from time to time?

Since you started this thread, I've seen that advert exactly one time (a couple of weeks ago, after an upgrade/reset of the forums), even though I've got Adblock Plus setup to allow adverts on this site (even though I have the Adblock Plus extension I use in browsers like Chrome and Firefox setup to block adverts from most other sites).

That's all (one time in a number of weeks) even though I visit the forums many times every day.

Again, are you sure you don't have any kind of browser extensions (or utilities like ccleaner or similar) deleting cookies or something like that, as I'm not seeing the same problem you're reporting, even when trying multiple browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome and others) using different operating systems (Win 7, Win 8.1; various Linux distros including some based on Debian Stable, OpenSUSE 13.1, etc.).

Also, please keep in mind that it costs money to run the forums for servers, storage space, bandwidth, etc.; hence why we need to work with advertisers to help pay for those costs; so yes, we need the help of revenue provided by adverts to help keep the forums up and running for members using it.

But, again, I have not seen that advert more than once in a number of weeks, since the initial problem (with it continuing to be shown after each page refresh) was identified and corrected.