Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:39 PM   #31
Administrator

P.S.

If memory serves, you're using a Mac; and my guess is that you're probably using Safari as your browser.

So, perhaps that has something to do with it (as I've been unable to reproduce your problem using Win 7, Win 8.1, and a variety of Linux distros; with browsers like IE, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc). Heck, even Konqueror in Linux works fine (using a WebKit rendering engine similar to Safari's), where I do not see that advert when using it.

I'm a big Apple fan (as I used an Apple II+ and Apple IIe many years ago, and still have a II+; and would have bought a Lisa if I could have afforded one).

From my perspective, we would not have the personal computers we have today, except for the popularity of the earlier Apple Computers, and I'll always be grateful to Apple (especially Steve Wosniak and Steve Jobs; not to mention the developers like Dan Bricklin that produced "killer" apps" like Visicalc, as apps like that made the Apple Computers "worth their weight in gold" in time savings) for introducing me to what a computer could accomplish.

However, I can't safely use Safari anymore for testing, since I do not have a Mac, and because Apple decided to quit updating Safari for other Operating Systems in early 2012 (the last version available for Windows is 5.1.7, released in April 2012).

But, again, is it that big of a problem if you see that advert from time to time? ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:25 AM   #32

Jim, if someone on the site has the ad running for profit thats your business and I dont care. Someone should man up to it though instead of leading us to believe it was put there by someone unknown from the outside. If someone invaded the site and throws the ad in our faces then what can anyone else invade the site with? Im only pointing out that, while you think you fixed the problem, you havent. Ive also complained directly to Tamron. I just thought that you should know. It seems my concern for the welfare of the site makes me seem like a nutter to you. Ok, fine. I wont mention it again.

My browser is Firefox.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:16 AM   #33

Bynx,

I stated earlier in this thread that we had an ad campaign running with Tamron at the time this all started. Ads keep the lights on here. I'm sorry the Tamron pop-up is bothering you so much. I personally have not seen it on my PC since we fixed the issue with it showing up constantly. However, this morning it did pop-up on my iPhone's browser.

I'll double check with our marketing department to see if this campaign is still running. If it's not, then you'll be the first one I thank for finding this "issue". But, I'm thinking that they are still paying to advertise here, and for some odd reason this pop-up is generating more frequently for you (Jim posted several possibilities as to why this could be happening).

We appreciate your concern.

-billy

P.S. This was posted from my iPhone, please excuse any spelling or gramatical errors, as this thing has a mind of its own sometimes...

Edit: I just confirmed, we are still working with Tamron, so the ad is still active. However, it should not be popping up often, unless you're blocking cookies, etc. Other than seeing it from my phone today, I have not seen the ad in Firefox or Chrome in weeks.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:41 AM   #34
Administrator

Bynx:

Again, as mentioned in multiple earlier posts, I have been unable to reproduce your issue.

So, I do not know what is causing it (although you may want to look closer at something that is unique to your configuration like extensions or utilities that are designed to protect privacy by deleting cookies, etc.; as already suggested).

As previously mentioned, it could also be something unique to your Internet Service Provider (using specialized servers inserted into the links to cache content, etc. to speed up load times).

Since it sounds like you're using Firefox, why not just install the free Adblock Plus Extension if the occasional popup bothers you that much?

It's not hard to install (click on the link to it, click on allow, then after it's installed, restart Firefox and you won't see any more adverts, unless you want to allow or deny specific sites.

Get it here for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir.../adblock-plus/

I have it installed in Firefox under Multiple Operating Systems (Win 7, Win 8.1 and various Linux distros), since it's a really great extension and allows you to allow or deny adverts on a per site basis. It's also got some more features you'll see if you install it, like being able to block page loads from sites known to contain malware (as it uses block list subscriptions for advertising servers, malware lists, etc. if you enable those features; and again, it's free)

They also offer versions for Chrome, IE, Opera, and other browsers:

https://adblockplus.org/

I've had Adblock Plus disabled for the forums here, which is easy, by simply clicking on the ABP icon in the toolbar and selecting "disable for the site you're currently viewing" (and it will remember that setting for a site unless you enable adverts for it again), so I could try and reproduce your issue, and I've been unable to reproduce your issue (again, I have only seen that advert once since our tech staff fixed the issue with it appearing after every page reload, and that was after an upgrade/restart of the forums).

So, something unknown that is unique to your specific configuration is likely the culprit (so getting a tech staff involved to fix a problem that is not even reproducible would not be very productive).

But, again, if an occasional advert bothers you that much, then why not spend a minute installing something like the free Adblock Plus extension so that your issue is solved (as again, I have been unable to reproduce your problem)?

Using that extension can also speed up page loads on most sites (since the adverts don't need to load), and you can enable or disable ad blocking on specific sites if desired, too.; and even enable some advert types without enabling others.

See some of it's features here:

https://adblockplus.org/en/features

It's the most popular extension for Firefox and it's free. So, you may want to take a minute to install it if adverts bother you that much.

As previously mentioned, we do work with vendors for adverts to help pay the bills for server costs, storage costs, bandwidth costs, etc. So, that avert is supposed to appear.

It's just not supposed to keep reappearing after you've seen it, as your problem seems to imply (and again I have not been able to reproduce your symptoms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For goodness sakes Bynx. Is it that big of a problem if you see it from time to time?

Since you started this thread, I've seen that advert exactly one time (a couple of weeks ago, after an upgrade/reset of the forums), even though I've got Adblock Plus setup to allow adverts on this site (even though I have the Adblock Plus extension I use in browsers like Chrome and Firefox setup to block adverts from most other sites).

That's all (one time in a number of weeks) even though I visit the forums many times every day.

Again, are you sure you don't have any kind of browser extensions (or utilities like ccleaner or similar) deleting cookies or something like that, as I'm not seeing the same problem you're reporting, even when trying multiple browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome and others) using different operating systems (Win 7, Win 8.1; various Linux distros including some based on Debian Stable, OpenSUSE 13.1, etc.).

Also, please keep in mind that it costs money to run the forums for servers, storage space, bandwidth, etc.; hence why we need to work with advertisers to help pay for those costs; so yes, we need the help of revenue provided by adverts to help keep the forums up and running for members using it.

But, again, I have not seen that advert more than once in a number of weeks, since the initial problem (with it continuing to be shown after each page refresh) was identified and corrected.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:41 PM   #35

Sorry Billy, I missed your post where you mention having the ad campaign with Tamron. This caused me to believe that it was Tamron who infected the site. Reducing the ad popup from every page opening to once in a while is better than nothing. But get this straight.....Im not that bothered with the odd add popup. My concern was that, under the belief it was an invasive action by someone else, that whatever that action was, was still going on. Im not concerned about the ad, but I did have concern about the site. I wouldnt like to see it down some time in the near future because of damage caused by something planted. Now rest assured I will keep any further concerns to myself. Good luck Jim, and carry on.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:19 PM   #36

Bynx,

No harm done, it seems this was a simple misunderstanding.

Also, please don't keep your concerns to yourself. You had a legitimate concern, since you didn't know we were working with Tamron. Please feel free to share concerns or ask questions. They are appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:56 AM   #37

Looks like the Tamron ad on every page is back.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:41 AM   #38
Administrator

Thanks. We'll look into it.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkms View Post
Looks like the Tamron ad on every page is back.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I'm not seeing it on every page, however I believe JimC did see the same issue earlier.

Are you still seeing this on your end? If so, please let us know what browser you are using, as well as what operating system.

Cheers,
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:38 AM   #40
conor

As long as I can remember, I see the add once when I go to steves-digicams.com, but not if I go directly to forums.steves-digicams.com. I dismiss the ad once, and until I close my browser, I never see it again. I see this behaviour on two different machines running Windows 7 and the current version of Chrome. The only setting that I likely changed was enabling "send a do not track request with browser traffic". I use no plugins or add-ons.